Brown lump on gold axolotl's head

NatTaly

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have two 8 1/2 year old axolotls. A gold male and white female.

The male has always had a brown spot on his head that has been slowly growing his whole life. It has always been quite lumpy but he has never seemed to mind it.

Recently I have noticed that pa4t of the lump looks like it has collapsed at the front. He is still not bothered though.

Any help identifying what this lump is would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Attachments

• 20160415_121220.jpg
    20160415_121220.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 20160415_121203.jpg
    20160415_121203.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 523
I think the only way you will ever know, is for a vet to do a biopsy to identify it. It may be worth asking if they can take a look, maybe offer to email some photo's prior to the appointment so they can seek further advice prior to seeing you.

Last edited:
Hey Nat, how similar is it to this post? http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/71000-growth-moomins-side.html

Other than it is brown...but I assume blood takes on certain colours because it is oxygenated or not. I am not if you will get a satisfying answer from one of us. Since it is growing, it is either bacterial or a Tumor. Your axie has lived long with the problem, it may not be bacteria related, in that case I would go with Julia and take him to a vet. Otherwise bacteria is handled by antibiotics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back