Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bucket traps for newts

Ralf

Reaction score
The following pictures were taken during a field trip to newt breeding ponds, organized by the local chapter of NABU (German NGO) / Northern North-Rhine-Westphalia / Western Germany / March 2009.
The pictured traps were used to document breeding activity of the three newt species native to this area (which are aquatic only during spawning season with individual exceptions by Triturus cristatus) and, to some extent, to assess the breeding population of Triturus cristatus (capture-recapture-method by means of individual ventral patterns).
The traps were controlled daily and newts were released back into the ponds after documentation.

The floating trap is secured with a line in the pond. Note that the floating bodies on the sides of the trap are also very important to ensure sufficient airspace underneath the lid of the bucket. Trapped newts would drown without this possibility to breathe.

Trap1.jpg

A view of the interior of the trap. The soda-bottlenecks function as funnels. The newt enters the bucket through the bottleneck, but is not able to leave the bucket again (similar to a trap for minnows or crawfish). Bottom and lid of the bucket are perforated to ensure a quick flooding when the trap is put in place in the water.

Trap2.jpg

Triturus cristatus, Mesotriton alpestris and Lissotriton vulgaris were found in the traps. A nice M. alpestris-female in this case.

Trap3.jpg

There was quite a crowd of children accompanying the grown-ups. Seemed like they all had a great time.

Lissotriton.jpg

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I used a similar method once and had pretty good results. The trap used the same funnel mouth technique and floaters to ensure air-space. I ended up finding a few N.viridescens in the trap after it had been left over night.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting Ralf, thanks for posting!

Ralf

Reaction score
AW: Bucket traps for newts

Not a stupid question at all, Paul. This kind of trap works without bait. The newts are very active during breeding season. They catch themselves by just exploring the breeding pond and its "inventory". :D

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: AW: Bucket traps for newts

Ralf is right. This works on any aquatic salamander you can think of (including Sirens and Mudpuppies).

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Very interesting! I have used floating island live traps for turtles in the past, but this method for newts is new to me. Interestingly enough, I have a rather large collection of buckets and plastic bottles here....

I will have to try this one out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!