Budget chilling lol

M

mel

as a low income individual, i cant afford a chiller just yet. and thought that seeing us aussies are having problemo's i might give my working advice...hehehe

i have got my two loved ones in a large esky type container, they are in two smaller containers(big enough for them to move in) with their tank water. i have placed an ice brick under them and rotating ice bottles around the four sides. it works, for me, it brings the temp down to 18/19C. i rotate the ice bricks too...

hope it helps some people....

As I live in W.A. I know exactly where you are coming from
wink.gif
A tank chiller is a little out of my budget league too! Your 2 Axolotls are the same as my Lotle and Falkor, a golden and a black one (not sure of the exact 'brand'
rofl.gif
)

Cause I have over zealous dogs and limited space I decided against a second, cooler holiday home for my babies. Instead I seal frozen water bottles inside a zip-lock Glad bag and then seal the whole lot into a second bag to guard against possible contamination from leaks. Then I float the frozen bottles in the tank, keeping the bag in place by hanging the top out and shutting the tank lid on it. Changing when needed, I can keep the temp around 20-22 degrees.

Only problem is, with all the tank icebergs in my freezer I don't have much room left for MY FOOD
crazy.gif

found my bubba floating on his side yesterday (even i was dying from heat), put him in the fridge overnight and now hes in the chilly bin with icepacks around his little tank (the chilly bins quite large). works a treat and hes down to 18C! that reminds me... better go swap them round now

Hope your little bubba is OK and has a speedy recovery! Goodluck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back