Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bufo bufo gredosicola

R

rubén

This ssp. of Bufo bufo lives between 1.700 / 2.300 m. of altitude in Spain

26478.jpg

mike

Reaction score
Nice shot Ruben.

Are they found in the Cinco Lagunas, in the Sierra de Gredos, with Salamandra s. almanzoris?

R

rubén

Right
shocked.gif
you are really informated . This were found in Cinco Lagunas ( 2.100 m. ) where also lives the acuatic and black subspecies Salamandra s. almanzoris . I'll post more pics about it soon

S

sergé

Just a small correction..almanzoris is not aquatic, it has a long larval period, and metamophoses at a larger size than normal salamandra salamandra, but it is not aquatic.

mike

Reaction score
Hi Serge',
I would certainly have agreed with your comments, had I not have seen for myself that they do live aquatically in the high altitude Cinco Lagunas. I have found adults, by lifting large submerged stones in the lakes, whereupon the salamanders would swim for cover under another boulder. The immediate habitat is very barren, with stones and boulders in and surrounding the water, surrounded by grass meadows. I could not find any salamanders on 'terra firma'.
What are your observations Ruben?

R

rubén

Yes, you are right Serge and Mike

Of course, Salamandra s. almanzoris doesn't have a "newt behavior". This is a necessary correction.

Well, the peculiarity that I have seen in Cinco Lagunas and other glacial ponds still higher ( 2.300 m. ) is that adults were with all his body in the water and the head out breathing. I didn't see salamanders in the deep points of these ponds, but the borders were full of salamanders at night.

Thorn describe this behavior like a "adaptée à une vie aquatique" , maybe exaggerated , but these are the only salamanders that I have seen in the water out of the spawn moment.
This behavior was observed in other almanzoris popolations, like those of Guadarrama lakes, but less obvious

mike

Reaction score
Perhaps they were feeding in the darkness Ruben.

Guerrero et al. 1990. state that "earthworms are extremely scarce in this habitat and the salamanders feed mainly on larval and adult beetles and flies".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!