Bugs and Beetles

G

garrison

It's getting to be about that time of year where I live when the Boxelder bugs and Asain Multicolored Ladybeetles are attempting to invade my house. I was wondering if they are safe to feed to my frogs(WTFs). If I remember correctly the ladybeetles may secrete some sort of foul smelling/tasting toxin, or might even be toxic. I have not heard anything about boxelder bugs however. If anybody has had success with this I think it would be a wonderful way to add some variety into my frogs diet, and get rid of some pests too!

Cutured boxelder bugs are fine to use as they do not aquire the noxious taste. Wild caught ones are probably going to be rejected particuarly if the frogs in question are wild caught.

Ed

Wild caught food is dangerous. If the bug you feed your frog has some pestiside or something else on it, it can easily lead to the death of your frog. If I were you I wouldn't risk it.

Now that I've read more I can see it's not really worth it, out of season now anyways.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back