Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bugs in the vivarium

janice

Reaction score
I have a ten gallon tank home to one c. orientalis; it is divided into land and water with a Duetto50 filter in the water. There are three ferns, creeping fig, moss, and polka dot plant on the land, as well as tillandsias growing on the cork bark. In the water there is some Java fern, Java moss and some cryptocorynes (sp?). I have a piece of driftwood in the water, protruding over the land part, for Flame ( my son named her) to get out if she feels like it. So....I have noticed bugs in the viviarium. There are gnats, but also some tiny hoppy things that live on the wood (I think); they also float on top of the water. The little things are kind of blueish gray, and there are quite a few of them. Any ideas on what they are, and if they are a problem? Are the gnats a problem? Thanks!

P

paul

I have had the same thing in my vivarium, usually on driftwood like you said. These little bugs are springtails. They dont cause any harm, and they are kind of cool. I dont know about the gnats, but my guess is that they are fine.

Paul

(Message approved by admin)

A

alan

They won't hurt your newt, and even help to keep the tank clean to a very small extent. I'm told that some people object to insects flying around their house. Can't think why...
ufo.gif

joe

Reaction score
Some bromeliads (and your Tillandsias may qualify in this regard) benefit from insects. When they die, their decomposition adds to the nutrition for the Bromeliads. There are even a few select Bromeliads that actually trap insects (Catopsis berteroniana and Brocchinia reducta)for protein. So unless you've got something that appears to be an infestation of sorts damaging your plants, it doesn't sound like the presence of the insects is a problem.

I

^imp^

If the soil in the land part of the tank is boggy, the gnats are probably living off that decaying organic matter. If you look closely, you may spot a few tiny white worms on the substrate. Usually not a big deal, but I might worry about root-rot if the soil is too boggy.

^iMp^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1