Building Custom tanks

H

hayden

Anybody here ever built a custom tank? I was thinking of making a long shallow 5-7 gallon tank...Any suggestions...

Not that hard to do, but unless you've already got the glass, the cost of materials and time means it is rarely worth while.
A decent aquarium shop will get one custom made for you if you give them the dimensions you want.

I have built custom Glass Vivariums. The biggest cost is the aquarium sealant. And as Alan says, you can often get a glass aquarium made cheaper for you.

I have made numerous beutiful tanks. I use plexi-glass though. To put the peices together, you use something called "weld-on". It is sort of hard to find, but if you look around, you will probably find it. The weld-on will litterally fuse the plexi glass together. After you do that, I ussually put in some Aquarium selant, just becuase. The only problem with plexi is its tendancy to scratch, I am always finding myself telling people not to touch, or get anything near it, ha ha. But besides that plexi-glass tanks make for a very cheap, easy to make custum tank. I have never made a glass tank. Good luck!

Andrew, I can get the glass and sealant for free...My dad is friends with a glass guy and my dad has a bunch of silicone...If its not hard Ill take a shot at it...

You need the right sealant - many will leach dangerous chemicals into the water. You will need specific "aquarium" safe sealant.

...and make sure it doesnt have bactericide or fungicide in it, IE silicone for kitchens/bathrooms wont do

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back