Bump on her nose.

Andrechols

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys, my axolotl has a bump and I'm thinking it's an infection.
How do I cure an infection? I don't believe it's a tumor because it appeared quickly and now it looks like she's got a cut on her lip, that looks infected. She still eating and moving around like things are normal she just looks inflamed.

Please help, thank you!

Photos attached
20210114_222540.jpg
20210114_222531.jpg

Hi, the fact that the lip is injured as well as the bump on the head looks like she might have collided with something. Have you seen anything like that happen? If this is the case, most injuries like this will heal over time with good water parameters (eg correct temperature and sensible water changes). What temperature is your tank? From experience, my axies' minor injuries heal well and quickly at around 16 -18 degrees C - which is roughly how you should have the tank anyway.

If the infection looks to be growing and looking like a large fluffy fungus and maybe spreading, then you should think about fridging and salt baths. There are plenty of threads on this site alone about how to look after infections - I've never had to do one myself so wouldn't feel confident giving solid advice on that. To prepare for worst-case scenario infection, I would do as much research from trusted sites like this one as you can and cross-reference what you read to ensure you've got the right information and a solid plan of action - axies can go downhill very quickly if not treated.

As for the bump, keep an eye on it, it's probably just inflammation, but if it stays long after the lip heals, I would seek further advice! In the meantime, you can look out for signs of distress (gills, tail, etc), if the axie seems happy despite the injury that's a good sign, but with an injury, you'd expect some slight distress. I know that's a bit wishy-washy advice but I hope it helps!

Hi, the fact that the lip is injured as well as the bump on the head looks like she might have collided with something. Have you seen anything like that happen? If this is the case, most injuries like this will heal over time with good water parameters (eg correct temperature and sensible water changes). What temperature is your tank? From experience, my axies' minor injuries heal well and quickly at around 16 -18 degrees C - which is roughly how you should have the tank anyway.

If the infection looks to be growing and looking like a large fluffy fungus and maybe spreading, then you should think about fridging and salt baths. There are plenty of threads on this site alone about how to look after infections - I've never had to do one myself so wouldn't feel confident giving solid advice on that. To prepare for worst-case scenario infection, I would do as much research from trusted sites like this one as you can and cross-reference what you read to ensure you've got the right information and a solid plan of action - axies can go downhill very quickly if not treated.

As for the bump, keep an eye on it, it's probably just inflammation, but if it stays long after the lip heals, I would seek further advice! In the meantime, you can look out for signs of distress (gills, tail, etc), if the axie seems happy despite the injury that's a good sign, but with an injury, you'd expect some slight distress. I know that's a bit wishy-washy advice but I hope it helps!
No it's perfect! I just wanted to have another person advice on it before I start salt baths and fridging. I keep her tank around 60-65° and not much stress going on with her.. I'm just glad it's not a tumor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back