Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bumpy skin

krislr

Reaction score
I'm a first time axolotl owner, and I noticed this morning that my little friend has tiny bumps all over his head, body, and tail. Water parameters are good and temp is about 68°F (I'm still trying to decide what chiller to invest in so I dont have one yet). Water changes are done once a week with tap water that I put conditioner in and refrigerate for a few days before use. I use a sponge filter and a bare bottom tank with no live plants, and he is on a diet of sinking pellets, earthworms, and bloodworms. In terms of behavior, he's not as active but not lethargic by any means, he's flicking his gills a lot more frequently than is normal, the gills are somewhat curled but the tail is straight, and very occasionally he'll twist/thrash around like he's itchy (although he hasn't done that in about an hour and a half). He still eats without any hesitation or issues. If anyone knows what this is, how to treat it, and how to prevent it from happening again please let me know!! I'm very worried.

Attachments

• 20200606_154341.jpg
    20200606_154341.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 180
  • 20200606_154426.jpg
    20200606_154426.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1