Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. cyanurus eggs

N

nate

I think it's sorta funny that if anything, the animal shown just before the belly shot is closer to chenggongensis with those spots near the tail (and sort of hints of spots along the side) than the "real" chenggongensis are.

Anyone else see that?

TJ

Reaction score
Interesting observation, Nate
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the egg seemed yesterday to be going bad and today it even more discolored.
Maybe it was unfertilized to begin with
sad.gif

24370.jpg

N

nate

Yeah, not fertilized...

I think you'll get fertilized eggs soon enough though.
biggrin.gif

TJ

Reaction score
I was informed that they are yunnanensis.

Got another egg today
biggrin.gif

24489.jpg

24490.jpg

24491.jpg

B

benjamin

Glad you got the other egg. Have you seen any courtship behaviour at all?

TJ

Reaction score
No, Benjamin, I haven't had much time to observe them, and the tank is densely planted.

I have found four eggs so far. Two of them have gone bad, and two are developing. I heard that the egg fertility rate for cyanurus is only about 35%, so that would explain it.

Here's one of the developing ones:

24575.jpg

The females have a choice of 4 plants to deposit their eggs on, and have chosen Egeria densa ever since I added it after the first egg was laid on java moss.

(Message edited by TJ on October 18, 2004)

L

leonardo

have you tried with Pistia stratiotes?that's a floating plant...I've noticed that my ensicauda female does prefer to deposit her eggs "upside down" in this plant, even having egeria densa,fontinalis and other plants to choose among...

H

harry

Hi My cyanurus laid the eggs in saggataria eatoni
its importont for devolping the eggs that you use water from an old aquarium!(symbiose)

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips
biggrin.gif

24707.jpg

Too bad I have to leave on a 5-day trip today. I would have loved to watch this develop. But no problem really as I'm taking another one with me (giving it away to somebody special)
lol.gif

E

edward

Hi Tim,
At work the highest density of eggs is laid on the moss growing on the screen for the filter intake. The number of eggs located there is usually very dense. I have had eggs laid in the moss in the tank, fern leaves, leaves that fall in the tank, on stones and in crevices on the log in the exhibit.
Hi Harry,
I have had excellant success using aged tap water that was the same temperature as the eggs.

Ed

J

joseph

Leonardo: Thats pretty interesting-my female c. o has tried to use it but was unable to...she prefers java fern with its rather large, foldable leaves instead of a bunch of thin roots.

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks for that info.

Well, I got back from my trip yesterday but didn't have a peek until today and...I couldn't find the egg! I did, however, find this:

25020.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Another egg has been laid, though I had hoped for more by now. I might add some Pistia stratiotes...

25037.jpg

C

chris

HOw do you keep the planthealthy? I have enough trouble getting them started when they are set out with plenty of light and rooting substrate - they would just rot and die if I put them like that....
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1