Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C.e.popei beauty

TJ

Reaction score
This C.e larvae is almost yellow and really stands out from the rest. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out...
biggrin.gif

3112.jpg

C

chris

What temp. do you keep your c.es at for breeding purposes?
Chris

A

aaron

Mine are at 77-81 in the warmer months and cool to about 66 in the cooler season. They've bred for me the first full season I've had them.

~Aaron

T

tj

Sorry Chris but I haven't been monitoring or manipulating temps other than to ensure it doesn't get too cold in the winter or too warm in the summer. Mine were furiously laying eggs when the water temp was around 20C. I hear C.e lay eggs almost year-round in their native habitat, unlike C.p (temp. fluctuations in Okinawa/Amami are not nearly as drastic as they are up north in the main islands).

Here's another larvae I have great hopes for:

3119.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
And here's another shot of the larvae I posted a pic of before the last pic, with the picture contrast turned down a bit:

3121.jpg

J

jennifer

Here's my entry into the display of interestingly-colored C.e.p. This is a juvenile that morphed a month or two ago. Can't tell yet about the white spotting, but it has much more orange than usual.
3231.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Fantastic Jen! I'd like to see a close-up shot of that one sometime, maybe when it gets a bit bigger! I haven't seen a one-month-old morph that colorful before. Do keep us posted!
happy.gif

Here's another hopeful of mine:

3263.jpg

3264.jpg

I don't think it's the same one as in any of those pics I posted before but I'm not entirely sure.

J

jennifer

I do wonder if there's any correlation between light-colored larvae and light-colored adults. I have certainly noticed that larval C.e.popei have a wide variation in coloration, from black to quite light. You can scientifically test this for us, Tim! You'd have to separate out a couple of light ones and raise them separately.

A

aaron

I'm not Tim, but maybe I'll raise some of mine separately. We shall see

~Aaron

TJ

Reaction score
Yes, please do so Aaron. And remember, adding artificial coloring to their food doesn't count!
lol.gif

Jen...I'll separate what I have left and see what happens. But I'm running out of C.e.p larvae to "experiment" with as most have morphed already and the adults are not laying more. (I do have massive quantities of C.e.e larvae -- too bad C.e.e are not as colorful as C.e.p...)

I suppose it's genetic. I don't know to what extent food has anything to do with it (beta-carotene and all that stuff). I always start my hatchlings out on brine, then switch to tubifex, and finally a combination of tubifex and bloodworm, but mostly bloodworm.

If we humans can transform a wolf into a pug through selective breeding, dunno why we can't enlist Mother Nature's help in coming up with a hybrid strain of C.e.p, one that's covered head to tail in pure gold
biggrin.gif

By the way, the WC newt in the very first pic above was being sold as a "designer newt"
lol.gif

A

aaron

just a side not here: the wolf is not the same subspecies as dog. I believe Canis lupis is wolf, while Canis lupis faciata or something like that is the common dog.

~Aaron

J

jennifer

Tim, are all those pictures of C.e. popei, or are some nominate C.e.e.? There is one that is totally black. Is it possible for popei to be completely black? I have a couple of juvenile popei that are, but I still have hope that they will get some spots in time.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Jen, yes, that's a completely black C.e.p -- like one adult I have that I acquired it for that very reason. Mine was caught in the northern part of Okibnawa Island. and the ones it was with were also mostly black. Interesting, eh? I also have some over 1-year-old juvies like that and it remains to be seen whether they'll stay that way.

TJ

Reaction score
3408.jpg

3409.jpg

Here's the same one as the larvae in the pics above...upon morphing. It's unusual to get coloration like this at this stage. Usually the colors emerge quite some time afterward. Will keep an eye on this one!

That should be "Okinawa Island" in my earlier post (not "Okibnawa").

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1