Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C.Orientalis got busy

Holding2k9

Reaction score
20201223_200029.jpg
20201216_214039.jpg

Here we go. It's happening. After months and months of trying to acquire some Chinese fire bellied newts. I managed to purchase 2 last November (19).

Well, here we go. Breeding is well underway

Any tips?

Mini

Reaction score
Congratulations !! 😁

For this species, the larval phase is normaly really easy if the food is abundant 😉.
But the terrestrial phase is more difficult because the young newts are weaker than larvae 😅

JM29

Reaction score
But the terrestrial phase is more difficult because the young newts are weaker than larvae
Right !
Several techniques can be used to favor a long larval life and late metamorphosis at a longer size :
- no overcrowding
- frequent water changes
- not much light
The last point may be a problem if aquatic plants are involved. So Java moss (Vesicularia dubyana) and Java fern (Microsorium pteropus) can be prefered because they don't need high levels of light

Mini

Reaction score
I didn’t know, it’s interesting :)
I haven't lot of experience in H.orientalis's reproduction because 2020 is my first year of reproduction :unsure:

JM29

Reaction score
Hello,

Now you may have obtained larvae like these :
Larves.JPG

They are now eating Cyclops and very young daphnia that I find in a pool near my job.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!