CA Herping December 2015

AdvythAF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Advyth
I went herping locally, in riparian oak forest habitat; after two days of rain. Here are my finds!

• 4 Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica -- Yellow Eyed Ensatinas

• Countless Batrachoseps attenuatus

• a lot of mushrooms

Here are the photos plus habitat shots of the ground teeming with ground cover and moss!

Ensatina by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Ensatinas by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Ensatina Adult and Juvenile by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Ensatina Adult by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Ensatina Juvenile by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Batrachoseps on Log 1 by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Batrachoseps on Log 2 by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Trail by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Ferns, Moss Carpet by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Mossy Trees by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Mushrooms on a Log by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Small Fern by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Clovers by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Big Leaf Maple Leaves by 'PhibFinder, on Flickr

Reactions: sde
Xavier, I'm not understanding what you said :confused:
Do you mean to say you saw my iNaturalist Post on the same finds?

Nice! Your area looks very similar to mine lol. But then again we both are in CA. I should've gone out but was too busy with college work. The rain was really nice though especially since we haven't gotten like ANY!

Xavier, I'm not understanding what you said :confused:
Do you mean to say you saw my iNaturalist Post on the same finds?

Yes, that's what I meant. The last California slender salamander and one of the Ensatina photos I have seen on it

Yes, that's what I meant. The last California slender salamander and one of the Ensatina photos I have seen on it

Ok.

Nice! Your area looks very similar to mine lol. But then again we both are in CA. I should've gone out but was too busy with college work. The rain was really nice though especially since we haven't gotten like ANY!

Thanks! Maybe you live near me, or in near a similar habitat type. The rain was awesome; we even got hail over here.

You can still go herping, there is supposed to be more rain this weekend and next week!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back