Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

(Cae.) Typhlonectes cf.ladigesi ?????

Eugenia

Reaction score
Dear colleagues,
may I ask you to confirm that so called "(Cae.) Typhlonectes cf.ladigesi" is a some kind of synonim to Typhlonectes compressicauda?..

There is a possibility to buy animals named like this.

At the moment we have a breeding group of Typhlonectes natans (a male and several females and their young offspring).

T

tylototriton

I can't say that i've ever heard T. compressicauda ever called that, but i'm certainly not an expert. You might want to try Gymnophiona.org. I looked in the species database there and they didn't list that name, but you never know. The forum, all not that active, has a lot of people who work extensively with these animals.

I'll keep checking around as well.

Best,
Alex

Eugenia

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, first I checked exactly the mentioned site. No info exactly as per this name.
I found at some Spanish Wikipedia some Nectocaecilia ladigesi here:
Typhlonectes compressicauda - Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre
So this name could be a synonym to Typhlonectes compressicauda.

T. compressicauda
Sinónimos

Gymnophiona

Reaction score
AW: (Cae.) Typhlonectes cf.ladigesi ?????

Hello everybody

I found this type of caecilian also in a shop and tried to investigate.
The german book "Amphibien im Aquarium" by Hans-Joachim Hermann has a short paragraph about it. It's described as "Ladige's caecilian" a species on its own. It should be a pink caecilian with white spots on it. So I think that Typhlonetes ladigesi is no synonym of Typhlonectes compressicauda.
I hope I could help

Greeting from Germany
Philip

Eugenia

Reaction score
Re: AW: (Cae.) Typhlonectes cf.ladigesi ?????

Hi Philip!
Thanks for your reply and info!
Yes, we also got this info - an opportunity to perchase this type of caecilian.
That is why I am asking.
I do not speak/read/translate German (at least without my computer). I found an information about this animal in the book you mentioned but it took time for me to translate the text with on-line translator:)
As I understand, this animal is really another species but as far as in biotop and environment are the same as for T.compressicauda it could be fully aquatic?

Gymnophiona

Reaction score
AW: (Cae.) Typhlonectes cf.ladigesi ?????

Yes, Typhlonectes ladigesi is mentioned as an species that lives fully aquaristic and it should be to keep like T. compressicauda. The geographical extension isn't exactly the same but they live both in tropical areas in south America ;-)

Greeting Philip

nate

Reaction score
I'm not aware of any data that suggests Nectocaecilia ladigesi is not a synonym of compressicauda. Glaw and Franzen (2006) mention that this is a synonym of compressicauda and that the holotype is not present in the Zoologische Staatssammlung München as previously reported.

Pink with white spots sounds more like Chthonerpeton indistinctum to me, and it's worth mentioning that other Nectocaecilia species were sunk into Chthonerpeton.

Eugenia

Reaction score
aqa.ru-20100213194542.jpg

This is what is called by now T.ladigesi.
It is really pink... and it really could be the species which Hans-Joachim Hermann mentioned in his book.
Interesting animal...

Eugenia

Reaction score
Some more info found.
p_kaupii.jpg

This one specified as Potomotyphlus kaupii on photo is very much alike. Looks like as really aquatic.
In Russian it is called as Amazon caecilia.
черв�ги

Potomotyphlus kaupii (Taylor 1968)
kaups2.jpg

Photo Copyright © Nate Nelson

The Cecilia De Rio ("Potomotyphlus kaupii") is a species of amphibian in the Caeciliidae family. It is monotypic within the genus "Potomotyphlus".It is found in Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, and possibly Bolivia.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests, subtropical or tropical swamps, subtropical or tropical seasonally wet or flooded lowland grassland, rivers, freshwater lakes, and freshwater marshes.

Well... Is there any more pink caecilia?...

nate

Reaction score
Yes, those are Potomotyphlus kaupii, not a Typhlonectes sp. They are totally aquatic, and you'll find they surface for air less often. They are also far more sensitive to water quality than Typhlonectes. Additionally, they can only eat smaller food items than similarly sized Typhlonectes and eat much less food at one time.

Eugenia

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers, nate!
Could you please recommend an optimal environment for them? Water, temperature (in water and also of air), light (do they need any), etc.?
What kind of gravel is better?
Anyway, there are quite a lot of info, photos and video about it. Need time to look through:)

nate

Reaction score
Here's what I'd recommend from my experiences with them:

Water temp: 25.5 - 28C
pH/Hardness: seems unimportant; I had them in 7.4 - 7.8 water.
Light: optional, they don't seem to mind it
Substrate: no substrate for ease of cleaning and overall water quality. They can dig in sand, coarse gravel, etc. so it depends on your filter capacity and how much of them you want to see.

Other notes: You'll often see them undulating in place, presumably to move water over their skin for maximum respiration. They rarely surface unless the oxygen level is low. These guys are definitely toxic - if you handle them or stress them out in a tank full of fish, their toxins can kill the fish. I lost several tetras this way. Males have a much larger cloacal disc.

andyreeves

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Potomotyphlus kaupii in a fish shop in Lincoln Nebraska a couple days ago. They had them labeled as "tiger worms". I wonder if there are more coming in fish shipments around the US or am I just incredibly lucky? Is anyone else seeing them available?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!