California newt...not!

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Anybody care to tell the folks over at Animal Planet that they've misidentified their "newt"?
biggrin.gif

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/jeffcorwin/carnival/frog/califnewt.html

Can anybody identify the sal in that pic?

It's quite amusing that their picture is nothing like their description...
Chris

That is so not Taricha, although it is a "Califor<font color="ff0000">nian</font> newt." My guess would be E. e. eschscholtzii since it has black eyes and no blotches (and was supposed to be found in California.)}

Is E. e. eschscholtzii a "newt"?

Whats the difference between "newt" and salamander? Kinda like rectangle and square?

the "general" difference is "basically" that newts are aquatic and salamanders are terrestrial. i think this is true about 80% of the time. It's really just semantics.

Newts are necessarily salamanders but salamanders are not necessarily newts
frog.gif
Also, newts belong to the family Salamandridae.

Then what about the "fire salamander"

Don't you just love common names?
dizzy.gif

Well, same goes here, all newts belong to the family Salamandridae but not all Salamandridae are newts
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back