Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can’t find earthworms - will this do?

DRRMJ

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m getting in some food ready for my Axolotl to arrive in a month or so, I can’t find earthworms and I’m not ready yet to start breeding my own - will a mix of freeze dried bloodworm, freeze dried brine shrimp and freeze dried daphnia be an adequate diet for my new friend? Thank you.

GeoludvikIV

Reaction score
Somewhere in the vicinity of "North America"
Personally, I've been feeding my three axolotls on frozen blood worms (not freeze dried) and sinking carnivore pellets with no problems. I used to feed them on freeze-dried brine shrimp, and they seemed to be fine with that also (although it was for a very brief period of time). The issue with feeding them anything freeze-dried (other than lack of nutrition) is that it floats, which makes quite the mess!

DRRMJ

Reaction score
Thank you both, that’s helpful. I’ll keep trying to find frozen worms and find some pellets in the meantime. I don’t live close to any pet or fishing shops so finding a source is a bit tricky.

Macaroni5510

Reaction score
It might not be helpful, but many gas stations sell live bait. Oftentimes their worms are cheaper too. Nightcrawlers are usually too big for smaller axolotls, but you can always cut them. Even better, if you can find red worms they're the perfect size for smaller ones.

Besós64

Reaction score
Prueba a cavar en alguna zona sombreada y húmeda, encontraras lombriz con seguridad, o en la orilla de algún arroyo, acequia, incluso cerca de alguna arqueta de riego o cavidad que contenga agua de vez en cuando. Si las consigues trata de reproducirlas.. ¡ suerte !.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1