Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can 2 axolotls live together?

Covey

Reaction score
Hello guys, i am asking you if 2 axolotls could live together in a 90 gallon tank. Im sure its plenty enough space for just the two of them. The one im getting is 6-7 inches and my current axolotl (Ponyo) is around 9 and 3/4 inches. I heard if you feed them well they won't try to eat eachother. Is their any issues if i put them together even if i feed them well? I'll also quarantine the new axolotl for half a month in a 20 gallon tank. Will they live together okay if i do all these?

JM29

Reaction score
Hello guys, i am asking you if 2 axolotls could live together in a 90 gallon tank.
Said like that, of course they can.
Many people, including myself, keep several axolotls in the same tank.
It's possible as long as the animals are more or less the same size and the are more than 4 inches long.
Of course, hides and plants help a lot.

1649594060061.png

Im sure its plenty enough space for just the two of them.
Yes. 90 gallons is a very comfortable volume for 2 axolotls.
If the tank has standart dimensions, it's Ok.
Surface is as important as volume for axolotls.

The one im getting is 6-7 inches and my current axolotl (Ponyo) is around 9 and 3/4 inches.
That's an important size difference. Even if they are both more than 4 inches long, there is a risk for the smaller.
If I were you, I'll keep them separate until the smaller grows more.

I heard if you feed them well they won't try to eat eachother. Is their any issues if i put them together even if i feed them well?
It's not the only issue.
When you feed them live food, the movements of the preys will excitate them (they are predators, aren't they ?) and increase the bite risk.

I'll also quarantine the new axolotl for half a month in a 20 gallon tank. Will they live together okay if i do all these?
I would have a quarantine for a complete month.
Axolotls are cold water animals and, when the temperatures are low, disease take more time to declare.
I'm afraid 2 weeks wouldn't be enough.

Covey

Reaction score
Said like that, of course they can.
Many people, including myself, keep several axolotls in the same tank.
It's possible as long as the animals are more or less the same size and the are more than 4 inches long.
Of course, hides and plants help a lot.

View attachment 92155

Yes. 90 gallons is a very comfortable volume for 2 axolotls.
If the tank has standart dimensions, it's Ok.
Surface is as important as volume for axolotls.

That's an important size difference. Even if they are both more than 4 inches long, there is a risk for the smaller.
If I were you, I'll keep them separate until the smaller grows more.

It's not the only issue.
When you feed them live food, the movements of the preys will excitate them (they are predators, aren't they ?) and increase the bite risk.

I would have a quarantine for a complete month.
Axolotls are cold water animals and, when the temperatures are low, disease take more time to declare.
I'm afraid 2 weeks wouldn't be enough.
Thanks for the advice! When i quarantine the new axolotl for a month it will also help it grow as well so when i introduce it it'll be bigger and healthy :) i also feed pellets and night crawlers (occasionally). Also, how much do i feed a 1 year old axolotl? My current axolotl Ponyo is 9-10 inches already and a year old. I feed her 10-15 pellets each feeding and feed her 3-4 times a week. Do i deacrese the pellets or increase, and do i feed her more often or less, or is it just right?

JM29

Reaction score
It's really difficult to answer this question because it's temperature dependent.
The usual advice is :
The belly should be as wide as the head. If it's not the case, feed more.

I sincerely doubt 1 month will be enough for the younger to grow 2-3 inches more.

Covey

Reaction score
It's really difficult to answer this question because it's temperature dependent.
The usual advice is :
The belly should be as wide as the head. If it's not the case, feed more.

I sincerely doubt 1 month will be enough for the younger to grow 2-3 inches more.
Ok, so i looked at Ponyo's belly and head and she's healthy. And i also didn't intend got it to grow 2-3 inches in a month, it'll grow 1 inch per month, and when i introduce it to Ponyo it,ll be around 8 inches

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!