Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can anyone tell me about how old my axolotl is?

Elise.91

Reaction score
6A90CCE3-ADE6-4C0C-A218-93541B634386.jpeg

He/she is about six and a half inches long. I got him last month and was told I was getting a juvenile. However, this one seems rather large for that age. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how many months old he is? Thank you!

Attachments

• FEB3B2F3-5C7C-45C8-A6AF-344644A4D1E8.jpeg
    FEB3B2F3-5C7C-45C8-A6AF-344644A4D1E8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 57

Elise.91

Reaction score
Also, how much should he be eating? I’ve still been feeding him once a day, as I was told he was a juvenile. Is one whole worm a day too much?

Ya_Boi_Eon

Reaction score
No, not at all! In fact, if it even is actually a juvie, it would eat living prey only! (Young axies are picky and simply discard non moving prey). You might wanna do 3 days a week to let the digestive system do it’s thing though.

Elise.91

Reaction score
He only eats wriggling pieces of worms. He can’t handle a whole worm in one gulp yet. So I cut them into two or three pieces for him.

Ya_Boi_Eon

Reaction score
that makes sense. I would estimate it‘s age to be 5-7 months old. Still haven’t pinned the exact date yet though.

Elise.91

Reaction score
No, not at all! In fact, if it even is actually a juvie, it would eat living prey only! (Young axies are picky and simply discard non moving prey). You might wanna do 3 days a week to let the digestive system do its thing
that makes sense. I would estimate it‘s age to be 5-7 months old. Still haven’t pinned the exact date yet though.
Thank you! I’ll switch feeding to every two to three days. I know over feeding is worse than under!

wolfen

Reaction score
unfortunately you can't base an axolotls age based on length as some can be 6-7 inches and be adults where as others are up to 18 inches as adults (although rare does happen).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1