Can axolotls fire blanks so to speak?

sheena22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a spermatore with no white bit on top in my tank today, I hope it is a blank as i dont want her to have to lay any more eggs as shes only just gone through it, I check everyday and was away last night so he must of done it on the sly!

If it can be a blank fine. If not shes gonna be laying eggs if she has picked it up, i dont want her to have the eggs for her own sake, i dont have any trouble with keeping them.

So if she does lay eggs how can i keep her healthy and happy i dont want her to die of exuastion. I can feed her fatty foods like liver and lots of earthworms but i dont know if she can pull through another lot:confused:

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as i really love her and she is a really special axolotl xxx

Has she laid eggs recently? because mine has and i'm also worried about it happening again too quickly, i really have no idea if that's even possible, if so will it have consequences?

I think it will have consequences im going to have to seperate mine or watch them like hawks, the amount of energy and resources the axolotl uses for egg laying is a lot and i dont want her to get ill from it. Its like a person giving birth twice in a month could kill you, i think it is probably similiar for axys but who knows:(

I have been reading up but still not got a definitive answer, perhaps it's a good idea to serperate them for a while to let the female recover. That is if you have somewhere to put her

I don't see why they can't, but removing spermatophores as birth control is definitely ineffective! Dozens of people here can attest to that.

Laying eggs too often in a row can stress a female to the point of death. You should consider installing a divider, or get another tank and permanently separate the two.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back