Can Axolotls Lay Infertile Eggs?

Neomorph99

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am so confused. I have two axolotls, male and female, in the same 60 gal tank but with a sturdy acrylic separator between them. No gaps top, bottom or to the sides. It has tiny holes for water to pass through, and that is it. I just looked over and my female axolotl is laying eggs. I just do not understand how they could have bred. They don't even go in the same tub while I clean the tank, because they are so friendly with each other. Everywhere I have read says that axolotls do not lay infertile eggs and only lay eggs after mating. They accidentally mated over a year ago before I knew they were male and female, and had a clutch then. They have been no-contact since. Can female retain sperm for later usage like some other species can?

THE ONLY THING I CAN IMAGINE IS THAT SOMEHOW, THEY GOT TOGETHER AFTER ONE MIGHT HAVE JUMPED TO THE OTHER SIDE UNDERNEATH YOUR AQUARIUM LID AND THEN JUMPED BACK. IS THAT A POSSIBILITY???

THE ONLY THING I CAN IMAGINE IS THAT SOMEHOW, THEY GOT TOGETHER AFTER ONE MIGHT HAVE JUMPED TO THE OTHER SIDE UNDERNEATH YOUR AQUARIUM LID AND THEN JUMPED BACK. IS THAT A POSSIBILITY???
The acrylic seperator goes all the way to the lid! There is no way for them to get around it xD

MAYBE A SPERMATOPHORE GOT THROUGH ONE OF THE HOLES AND THEN HER CLOACA GOT LATCHED TO IT SOMEHOW...

MAYBE A SPERMATOPHORE GOT THROUGH ONE OF THE HOLES AND THEN HER CLOACA GOT LATCHED TO IT SOMEHOW...
Maybe?? I feel like the holes are just to small for that to happen. Also, she had a small clutch, like maybe 30 eggs which is why I don't think she was properly bred. That's why I'm thinking either infertile eggs or retained sperm. Like she didn't have enough for a full clutch xD It's just strange!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back