Can Barred Tiger Salamander take higher temperatures than other Tiger Salamanders?

VentureBro

Reaction score
Country
United States
My house temperatures float around 78-80F. I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a Salamander native to my area because it should take the temperatures better than a non-native Salamander.

From my research, barred Tiger Salamanders can apparently take higher temperatures better than other species.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Frogs-Amphibians/Tiger-Salamander-Care-Sheet/

"Tiger salamanders tolerate a wide range of temperatures. They will be active and eager to eat when kept at 50 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Races that originate from regions of the country of more extreme temperature variations, such as the barred tiger group, will tolerate daily temperatures well into the 80s. The more heat-sensitive races, such as eastern tigers from the northeastern part of the U.S., will suffer heat stress if subjected to temperatures above 80 degrees for long, and supplemental heating should be unnecessary for any race of tiger."

This Salamander is coming from a Texas seller. I want to know if keeping this Salamander at 78 degrees will be okay.

I purchased a fan to put on top of my cage. I plan on blowing it straight at the water bath as I heard evaporation cooling can lower a terrarium's temperature by 2-4 degrees F.

TL;DR: Anyone have a Barred Salamander? Can they tolerate higher temperatures seeing that they come from states that are warmer in climate?

Hello,
I had a Barred Tiger from the Texas area for quite a while and I don't know how well they would take a constant temperature of 80F. My tiger seemed rather uncomfortable whenever my house warmed up from its average temperature of about 73 degrees. He spent a lot of his time burrowed in the cooler substrate. Of course, that is one individual not all of them. There is an article on cooling on a website linked to this one called caudata culture if you have not read it already. One last thing is that I would not use a terrarium fan for a salamander as it could dry him and his environment out. Good luck

I am looking for one also does he have more? Can you send me how to contact to try to purchase one also?

This is my thoughts on the temperatures. In the wild, I would guess they would venture out in the higher temperatures when they need to hunt, but they don't stay out for long periods of time. They would then return to their resting places which would be underground, under rocks etc where it would be far cooler. I don't think a constant high temperature would be good for them at all. Now I may be wrong about this as I'm over in England and I'm not at all familiar with their native environment. Have you checked the room temperatures closer to the floor? It may be worth checking.

I'm not even sure if she's a barred Tiger Salamander. She's still a juvenile. Wasn't shipped from Texas either, she was shipped from Florida. She looks like a tigrinium.

I got her from Reptile City.

Here's my set-up. I have the fan on very low, temperature in house is 78. Tank is currently at 72.

woAoGdU.jpg

1xsWkSt.jpg

VubF1E3.jpg

q1TCQOT.jpg

LQURl3y.jpg

2XtIbpP.jpg

72 should probably be just fine. Just be careful that the moss and ground does not dry up because of the fan, it can work very fast. Other than that the setup looks very nice. Get that new tiger some food though because he looks pretty skinny!

72 should probably be just fine. Just be careful that the moss and ground does not dry up because of the fan, it can work very fast. Other than that the setup looks very nice. Get that new tiger some food though because he looks pretty skinny!

I got her to eat one worm but she didn't eat anymore after that.

Any idea what kind of salamander she is? Also, the fan blows very low and only on the water. I'll be sure to spray it. I might buy a mister.

I'm still not certain she is a barred Salamander. But she came out of her burrow she dug under her cork bark and was hungry. Here's a GIF of her eating this morning.

https://imgur.com/iOFvxh1

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back