Can hatchlings eat frozen food that is 'moved around'?

accidentalfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Becky
I was just wondering if it is okay to feed hatchlings on frozen daphnia or blood worms?
I have a brine shrimp breeder and 3 brine shrimp hatcheries that I put them in after their done in the breeder, but am starting to have a hard time keeping up with appetites.
I had to feed them frozen daphnia as an emergency food last night, and most did well with it. They are only 3-5 days old, but most seem to be able to eat it if I can make it appear to be alive. ( gently swirl the water around a little with an eye dropper etc.)
Will this cause any problems? How about Blood Worms?
Just thought I'd ask, may be a stupid question...
Thanks.

If you can get them to eat it, then nobody can argue with success! The only worries I would have about non-live food is that they might eat less of it. And dead food decays and contaminates the enclosure if it stays there more than a few hours. But BBS does that too, so you presumably have a handle on that.

Thanks, I thought it would be okay...Just wanted some one else's thoughts.

I wasn't able to get them to eat the frozen stuff that young, but gratz to you for doing it! Only other problem I see with it, all the nutrients leach out within a very short period of time, so even though they may be eating, they might not be getting much nutrition from it. Also, I second the fouling of the water thing.. I killed my first batch of babies by feeding them live bbs =/ Only took less than 6 hours... Guh..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back