Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I buy Daphnia in Australia ?

evershine

Reaction score
I have tried google and searched through this forum and cannot find any answers.

I have micro worms and brine shrimp already on there way to me but would like some daphina also as I need to leave town for a few days.

Thanks

Lady Rassilon

Reaction score
Re: Can I buy Daphina in Australia ?

There is a place in Melbourne selling Daphnia cultures for schools, etc. They'd ship.
Home Page
BUT this appears to only 40 Daphnia, not useful for feeding but maybe for starting to breed. Pretty expensive for just 40 though.

I've got new axolotl larvae (less than a week old) and I am still trying to get Daphnia, I'll let you know if I succeed.

evershine

Reaction score

Awesome!

I just messaged the seller I bought the BBS off and they said they are trying to source a supplier too, so will post if I find out anything.

In the meantime I am taking the kids out to the creek on the weekend and hopefully they will catch some.

Burtaplacka

Reaction score

Hi Kelly,
Did you have any more luck with finding any other the Daphnia cultures suppliers?
Cheers

ayla23

Reaction score
sorry to butt in, but i am also looking for daphnia.
im on the central coast, so if anyone does find them please let me know.
im still looking so if i do find a supplier ill do the same :)
at the moment im feeding my axies and guppy fry on microworms and BBS but the axies wont last on that forever!!!

Jumbuck

Reaction score
did a quick google

Betta Trading
Betta Trading at 45 Princes Highway Littlehampton 5250 in the Adelaide Hills in South Australia was started in 1990. Princes Highway is the Main Road of Littlehampton.
Live Daphnia is usually available at $2 a serve

JP100

Reaction score
Have you guys tried looking in standing water and dams ect..
Good place to get some to start breeding and they are free. but watch out for other nasties.
I usually collect some from dams/standing water and then breed these up and keep seperating them into more containers so I have more and more(also if one lot crashes I have some to fall back on) then feed these to my axeis.
Hope you guys find some.:happy:

Sdaji

Reaction score
Back when I was breeding tropical fish I used to get out catching Daphnia. It's much cheaper and easier than buying it, and also a lot of fun. Culturing it yourself might be good too, but I used to find it took a fair bit of space. Even a large swimming pool wasn't enough to keep me as supplied as I'd have liked. I suppose if you didn't need much you might be able to get away with doing it without a swimming pool. I used to find it took a fair while to get a culture going, but I suppose again if you don't want a whole heap it would be easier and quicker.

Go get yourself a fine net, attach it to a long pole and play in your local ponds and swamps. It'll certainly be easy to catch more than 40 Daphnia!

The world hasn't come to an end yet, there are still ponds and swamps to play in. Not everything has to come from a retailer at a price, and exploring the world is an adventure worth more than the money you'll save.

Rissa1980

Reaction score
did a quick google

Betta Trading
Betta Trading at 45 Princes Highway Littlehampton 5250 in the Adelaide Hills in South Australia was started in 1990. Princes Highway is the Main Road of Littlehampton.
Live Daphnia is usually available at $2 a serve

hi I get my daphnia from Betta trading. I have had no problems with there daphnia. it's the only place in south Australia that I can find that have them. I rang up just before but have to ring back as they don't have any in at the moment. if anyone else knows of anywhere is south Australia to get daphnia please let me know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1