Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can i have feeder fish in the tank with my axolotls?

nina89

Reaction score
I've been feeding my axolotl pellets and hate having to pick out what they dont eat so I've been giving them a worm each daily so i can cut back on the pellets.

I want to to put a few feeder fish in with the axies to eat whats left of the pellets after feeding.

I read that its not good to put other fish with them, though i have read in some cases people put feeder fish in. please help can i or can i not?

my axies are male and female 18.5cm and 20cm's if that helps

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If you want to use fish as a treat, you need to use guppies or white cloud minnows, and they need to be quarantined for at least 30 days.

Use earth worms as a main diet, but occasion treats can be used.

jclee

Reaction score
Have you read this yet? -- Caudata Culture Articles - Fish with Caudates

I have some feeders (that I treated for ich and put through a two month quarantine before introducing); After one was eaten, the rest learned to stay away from the bottom zone of the tank. This might mean that they won't help all too much with eating leftovers, if that's your main goal. Mine are in there mostly for decoration, so I feed them their own flakes. Perhaps they'd venture down more often if they had no other food.

melfly

Reaction score
You could have some shrimp in there. As long as they are quarantined etc.
I intended to do that but whilst quarentined i named them, and ended up keeping them as pets lol!

Mel

jclee

Reaction score
Of course! Why didn't I think to mention shrimp? I'm breeding some right now, and I'm waiting for the first eggs to hatch before I scoop up some of the first generation to pop in with the axolotls.

blueberlin

Reaction score
I'd like to add a little warning about fish flake. I used them to feed my fish too, but the key trick is to feed them VERY sparingly. The waste axolotls produce combined with the fine dust of uneaten flakes can quickly create an algae bloom.

Just thought I'd toss that in, maybe save someone the troubles I've had. :happy:

-Eva

jclee

Reaction score
I've been pretty sparing... until the fry were born. Admittedly, I've been feeding more often, just to ensure they have enough to eat. I'm keeping an eye on it, and I'll up my water change frequency if needed. There are limpets and pond snails in my tank, so excess food and algae haven't been much of a problem yet.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Of course! Why didn't I think to mention shrimp? I'm breeding some right now, and I'm waiting for the first eggs to hatch before I scoop up some of the first generation to pop in with the axolotls.

The shrimp are interesting for sure. They really help with tank cleanliness and while they are pretty fast I've seen One of my Leucistic Juveniles (Alecia Moore) catch two and gulp them down. It may entertain them between feedings and every now and again they score. :D But Mel... mine where IN the tank when the Axolotls went in so that made it easier. I know what you mean.... they are awesome little creatures... calming to watch.

Last edited:

ted22

Reaction score
If using feeder fish use guppys they shouldnt harm you axolotl and is best to keep em in a seperate tank and just chuck a couple in the axie tank every now and again i put 6 in main tank and had 1 left the following morning, axies tend to keep eating untill theyre sick so dont wanna be scooping out bits of regurgitated dead fish if they gorge themselves too much and also as a previous post said it is one hell of a pain suckin up all the uneaten fish flake wich will quickly turn bad if not removed so i would keep any live foods out of axie tank untill feeding time. I have been sucessful with shrimp living in the same tank. gomez tries to get em but they are too quick and stay out of the way ive had only one shrimp casualty out of 3 in the last 6 months!

>ed<

nina89

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I've decided not to put feeders in, mine live in with my koi in 6ft tank and koi are quite dirty. I think my time will be best spent breeding shrimp, that way if my axolotls surprise me with some eggs one day, i will be ready for them.
Any tricks for breeding shrimp?????

Thanks again to everyone that replied

dragonlady

Reaction score
It is really advised against having axolotls in with anything but other axolotls. Koi, as you said, are extremely dirty animals who are huge producers of ammonia. Axolotls are very sensitive to ammonia - your axolotls have to be extremely stressed to say the least. For the well-being of your axolotls, please remove either the koi or the axolotls.

Even if you only have one Koi in this tank, it's really too many. They require huge bodies of water with lots of oxygenation in order to thrive. This most likely means you have a powerful filter system with a heavy flow rate - axolotls need slow moving, reasonably low oxygenated water in order to thrive.

Please re-consider your current housing arrangement for benefit of all of your pets.

Shizeric

Reaction score
I read that its not good to put other fish with them, though i have read in some cases people put feeder fish in. please help can i or can i not?

This is in your very first post on this thread....

I read that its not good to put other fish with them

nina89

Reaction score
sorry guys if i wasn't to clear with my last post,

my koi are in a tank with feeders and my axolotls are and have always been in a separate tank. its my feeder fish that live with my koi and i was going to take the feeders from there and put them in with the axolotls after quarantine.

i am aware i cant have anything but axies in a tank with axies, which is why i was worried about putting feeder fish with them.

Have changed my mind anyways, going to try shrimps.
Thanks again:happy:

nina89

Reaction score
awwwww!
who gave me a bad rep:( i was just misunderstood, sorry guys i will check it twice to make sure its more clear next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no need to be so harsh

dragonlady

Reaction score
my koi are in a tank with feeders and my axolotls are and have always been in a separate tank....i am aware i cant have anything but axies in a tank with axies, which is why i was worried about putting feeder fish with them.:happy:

Thank you so much for clarifying! :D You nearly gave me a heart attack!! :eek:

I'm really envious of that 6 ft tank though!!...lol but I wouldn't give you a bad rep for that...people here are very passionate about axolotls and get carried away sometimes. Thank you for seeking advice before adding feeders in - too bad everyone doesn't do that.

Good luck with the shrimp - hope to see pics of your axies and their setup sometime - take care.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!