Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can you ID this plant?

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've had this plant floating at the top of my newt tank for years, it's took a turn for the worse suddenly and thinned out.. Not sure why? Anyways looking to get some more as the newts love hiding in it. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Thanks.
2b398c9454bfc6f2e6f6ebbdf692bf0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like some kind of Hydracotile. I've tried growing it many times over the last few years and it's always ended up looking like that! It's supposed to be very easy to grow, so I don't know where I'm going wrong. o_O

Methos5K

Reaction score
That is definitely a type of Hydrocotyle (Pennywort), looks like H. sibthorpiodes but hard to tell by one photo. Chinadog, all pennyworts require strong lighting, 7500K-10000K is recommended.

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Yes it requires a lot of light, nice thing is when it's doing well it forms a thick mat that shades the rest of the tank and the newts love it. Think you are right about it being hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, thanks for the ID! Found a nice source on Amazon for those interested...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BE8NIJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_Ju6dxbE616F2Q

5b3cf3d3aafcc76420c2d3580d060953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is definitely a type of Hydrocotyle (Pennywort), looks like H. sibthorpiodes but hard to tell by one photo. Chinadog, all pennyworts require strong lighting, 7500K-10000K is recommended.

Maybe it doesn't like my LED lighting. Some plants just won't grow properly with LEDs. Water wisteria (Hygrophila) is another easy to grow one that never does very well in my tanks.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The only place that mine grows is my outdoor pond :( Its grows rather too well. I've tried it in all my tanks and various outdoor tubs and its been dismal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!