Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cane toad genome and others

paris

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this has been fully mapped out or how much has? on line searches for me yield more about mitochondrial DNA. Anyone know if xenopus is mapped out also?

pete

Reaction score
For awhile there was a lot of buzz about sequencing X. tropicalis. A lot of developmental work occurs in Xenopus laevis, but genetically it's a mess because it is allotetraploid or pseudotetraploid (I'm not sure which is the correct word off hand, I've heard both). So, there isn't a strong push to sequence it, although it's well studied. Some people would like to switch to X.tropicalis which grows faster and has traditional diploid genome, which makes genetics much easier. Much of the developmental work is expected to translate well from laevis to tropicalis as well. I know that they were sequencing it. I don't know where it is at at this point. I found this website, which you may find helpful.

X. Tropicalis Home

pete

Reaction score
Was reading this story and I thought of this thread.

Scientists Report First Genome Sequence of Frog: Genome of Xenopus Tropicalis Will Advance Frog Genetics

ScienceDaily (Apr. 29, 2010) — A team of scientists led by the Department of Energy's Joint Genome Institute (JGI) and the University of California, Berkeley, is publishing the first genome sequence of an amphibian, the African clawed frog Xenopus tropicalis, filling in a major gap among the vertebrates sequenced to date....

FrogEyes

Reaction score
There has been some recent study of the Chaunus [Rhinella] marinus group using genetics and studying all of the species and major populations included in the group. Probably not what you're looking for, but interesting from a systematic point of view. Available from the CNAH pdf library.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1