Cannabilism !!!!!!! :-(

K

karen

I woke up this morning to find three quarters of one of my baby axies inside the other one with just his head and front legs sticking out.

I have no idea how he even managed it - there is only a cm in size between them.

I managed to get him to spit the other guy out - but he died as soon as he was free :-(

I was upset at leg biting - but I feel differently about them since i saw this :-(

Aw. i cant immagine how upsetting that must be. sorry to hear that.
sad.gif

sad.gif

This is why I spent money on dividers and isolation chambers. They're very capable of injuring or killing each other until about they're about 3 inches (7.5 cm) long (and even at that size I was paranoid).

The big one was 4 inches and the slightly smaller one was just under :-(

I'm still really mad at the big guy ! The smaller one was half digested :-(. It was really horrible he just gave 2 gasps then died :-(

Yikes, I have around 40 babies at the moment and and have noticed one is missing his leg, and two others are missing their feet.

If I am to divide them, I'm guessing I divide them based on their size? To divide them so axi has a space each will probably be impossible.

Yes you need to divide them by size - these guys regularly chewed off each others legs and ironically I was just thinking the night before that I should seperate them again - I was 12 hours too late !

LOL - I know it's not funny but that is why nature makes them produce so many babies - it's survival of the fittest! - one of our babies was caught with just the tiniest tip of a tail sticking out of his mouth - we chased him with a net and he spat the whole thing out alive!!! You have to keep them Extremely regularly fed or you will lose bits or whole babies!!! a very expensive time consuming job but very rewarding!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back