Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cant find any frogspawn this year

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I've had loads of frogs and spawn in my pond for over a week now, I'm up in Fife. It will come, just be patient :eek::p

Pedro Oliveira

Reaction score
Hi
Already many years ago that I not saw so many frogs as I have seen this year in the myusual spots!
But no frog spawns ... But in my case (PORTUGAL) I noticed a lack of females ... And maybe that's the cause ... in my few scapes this year I have already caught almost 10 frogs with my hands and I have seen more than 30, that in very restricted area without having to search for them. But these 30 frogs, more than 20 were male , the other 10 were doubtful , but in my opinion the majority were males too. Same on newts, but less obvious...
Maybe it's the global warming consequences , usually on reptiles, the temperature have
influence with the differentiation of sex ...

will be nice if we can colect more info around the world!

Aplestris

Reaction score
I did get frogspawn last year but the single male that was calling earlier has left now. I think a harsher winter stimulates them to breed more than a mild one.

Pedro Oliveira

Reaction score
Traveled today to my best stream.
Found the first female of the year :D
The water is full of frog tadpoles but found no more forgs... and almost no newts too. The stream is starting to dry now, hot days are coming.

Stay with the pic of the female. Not a great pic, but for sure a great female!

Nuclear Herps

Reaction score
Thank for the replys and amazing picture Pedro Oliveira.However on the look out herping I come across these very deep quadbike tracks and it filled with toad and frogspawn:D.No sign of newts:(.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1