Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can't submerge/floating...

roguemako

Reaction score
I have a Chuxiong Fire-bellied Newt and Axoltol that both seem to be unable to submerge, and can only float at the surface. They were not housed together of course!

The Axoltol seems to shift on its sides slightly when it attempts to submerge.

None of my other aquatic salamanders seem to be having this issue...including the other axolotl that lived with the one with the floating issue. The salamanders are kept in a temperature controlled room so an increase in heat is not likely to be the cause. I checked and I don't believe there are leaks in the tubes with the air stones.

They are both eating fine and seem otherwise normal. I fridged them for two days to see what would happen. The newt did submerge, but once I removed him from the fridge he began to float again (just in his ''fridge container'' he was not yet returned to his main enclosure). No change with the Axolotl as of yet. Before I fridged them this seemed to have been going on for at least a week. They do not have any gravel in the enclosure so I doubt its impaction. They get feed bloodworms and chopped earthworms.

Any ideas what the issue might be, what could be done to help?

Attachments

• fridge.jpg
    fridge.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 124
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!