Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Care considerations for juvie P. Chinensis

Logan

Reaction score
That is great to hear that they are all eating well. My newt at this time has no problems swimming around his tank but mainly returns to emersed areas most of the day. He/she eats best on land with peices of earthworm and whiteworm but will eat those same foods and bloodworm underwater. I don't have any weight at this time but maybe soon. There is floating cork bark covered in plants and a small shoreline area made of pond great stuff and hydroponic plants. I will get pics up soon. Thanks for the update.
Logan

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Logan,

Thanks for the link to your thread - your juvie looks fat and healthy! How old is he, approximately?

We are feeding our little guys chopped earthworms and wax worms. Our larger 2 juvies can now even take whole wax worms, and one of them has accepted 1/2" crickets on occasion.

Logan

Reaction score
Thanks Firedreams he/she is pretty chunky. This one was an egg last March so working toward a year old I guess. This one pretty much prefers earthworm chunks and whiteworms. I'm going to try some striped dwarf isopods here soon.
Logan

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to post an update to this thread, as my juvies have been showing some big changes lately and at least 2 appear to have matured into adults (or at least sub-adults).

As I have mentioned before, 2 of my juvies (William and P.B.) became rather larger than the others in the yr following purchase. In the last month, these 2 have drastically changed colour - taking on the sandy colouration of my one adult Chinensis. Both of these juvies have also acquired tail stripes and declared themselves to be male!

The other two juvies (Blackie and Roger) remain smaller in size and black in colouration. Roger remains hydrophobic, but has been eating much more than the others. Blackie also appears to be growing.

I have attached an picture of Blackie and P.B. on their island, demonstrating the difference in colour.

Attachments

• 389081_10100268515080789_1775668472_n.jpg
    389081_10100268515080789_1775668472_n.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 312
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1