Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Carnifex Eggs Have Arrived!!

frogman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought some carnifex eggs from otterwoman. They came the other day and I have them in their aquarium. Any opinions on the tank are great. It is a 2g critter cage with an airstone that is dialed down a lot and duck weed on top. The light was only on the tank for that picture. I don't know why, but the air stone was a lot stronger in the pic. normally it is about half that. The eggs look like their developing well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367591792.523063.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367591808.257391.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367591818.534169.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367591828.883422.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

frogman

Reaction score
I am planning to feed them brine shrimp hatchlings, I am got some java moss today that i can put it. I can also put in some hornwort. How does this sound?

frogman

Reaction score
The first one hatched today! And others will be soon, lots of them went moldy though :( . I have just gotten the brine shrimp hatchery started up though.

Tony G Indy

Reaction score
Is the duckweed used to maintain water quality or increase oxygen? or?

Any opinions on using duckweed with larvae?

Thanks,

Tony

Hey guys, I recently bought some carnifex eggs from otterwoman. They came the other day and I have them in their aquarium. Any opinions on the tank are great. It is a 2g critter cage with an airstone that is dialed down a lot and duck weed on top. The light was only on the tank for that picture. I don't know why, but the air stone was a lot stronger in the pic. normally it is about half that. The eggs look like their developing well.
View attachment 30539
View attachment 30540
View attachment 30541
View attachment 30542

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the duckweed used to maintain water quality or increase oxygen? or?

Any opinions on using duckweed with larvae?

Thanks,

Tony

My opinion on duckweed with larvae is neutral. There are some general benefits to aquariums from having duckweed. Like all live plants, it consumes nutrients (including ammonia), encourages beneficial bacteria, and sometimes produces oxygen. It is more efficient in nutrient reduction than other aquatic plants (because its leaves are above the water... long story). On the downside, it tends to be messy and stick to everything. Because larvae setups usually need a lot of cleaning anyway, I don't see any advantage to having duckweed, as opposed to other plants. Also, it doesn't provide shelter or hiding places to the larvae, as other kinds of aquatic plants do. It's certainly not harmful, and it's better than having no live plants at all, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

frogman

Reaction score
The larvae have all hatched except for like three. They are all feasting on bbs and have their little bellies. A few of them have little arms and fingers as well! The little flavistic ones are showing too. It looks like their might be 5-6 flavistic ones. As for the tank, there are a lot of mid-water plants as well as the duckweed and the java moss. I have had no hatchling deaths so far...nock on wood. I will update often!

frogman

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the larvae
Flavistic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368404686.878599.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368404709.858358.jpg
Normal Color
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368404730.593805.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368404745.931201.jpg

You may notice the brine shrimp in the picture, these are whatever is not eaten and are removed at the end of every day. Enjoy!

frogman

Reaction score
Here they are today, they are growing really fast. I have now separated them into two containers. The biggest larvae is about an inch nose to tip of tail. My number of larvae is now around 36. Enjoy!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369505136.521188.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369505212.284637.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369505259.160747.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369505458.619987.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369505465.553384.jpg

Evan

frogman

Reaction score
Larvae are growing well :)
amusa7ez.jpg

tuqujuda.jpg

At one and a half inches, I think maybe 2-3 more weeks till morphing. They have fully grown arms and legs and are eating tons :p

frogman

Reaction score
No, I have just a few left. I dont know why so many died, they were all eating and such. Their last full tank cleaning had been a week ago and the water was fine. They just died at random which upset me and frustrated me as I did not know why they died. But the few survivors are doing extraordinarily well and growing quickly. I will hopefully be acquiring 3 morphs this fall (including flavistic) to add to the collection :D

frogman

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea on how long till this one morphs?
agy6u4ad.jpg

apa7y9az.jpg

nepyty7a.jpg

otolith

Reaction score
The large tail extending along the body and larval coloration are good indicators that you've got at least a few weeks. The coloration will definitely darken up and they will get more typical adult coloration as they lose their gills. Lookin good though, how big are they?

frogman

Reaction score
Here is the same one again, I believe he is beginning to morph. I can see an eye ridge beginning to take shape. I think 1 or 2 more weeks. He is 2.5" exactly right now. I still can't tell if he is flav or not though.
8a2e3avy.jpg

uqabugy6.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1