Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cat fished my axxie out of the tub!

leelu

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new lotl owner (technically my son is) my little lotl was looking a bit skinny and didn't seem hungry, so I tested the water and the parameters were off. I tubbed the lotl to fix the tank and feed him up. During the night the blasted cat knocked the lid off the tub and fished out the lotl!!!!
I found Double A (the lotl) on the floor in the morning covered in fluff but still alive. He's not eating and slime/cottony strings are coming off him, does anyone have advice or suggestions?? A tiny bit of his tail is missing but other than that he seems ok. Do they have pain medication for lotls??

leelu

Reaction score
I should add I currently have him in a bigger tub with a better lid with slime coat and melafix. My son patiently waited the 6 weeks for the tank to be ready for Double A (he is 6 years old) and he loves this lotl. He watches him swim around at bed time and talks to him, so I'm desperate to save him if I can.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I should add I currently have him in a bigger tub with a better lid with slime coat and melafix. My son patiently waited the 6 weeks for the tank to be ready for Double A (he is 6 years old) and he loves this lotl. He watches him swim around at bed time and talks to him, so I'm desperate to save him if I can.
Hmm, okay. I would do 100% fresh water changes daily in the tub, and keep the water below 68. I would also do black tea baths, just for maybe 10 minutes a day. You can also ad a dash of Furan2 in the tub for 3 days for good measure.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Good luck. I hope your axolotl recovers. For whatever it's worth, one of my alpine newts crawled out a small hole once. I found her on the floor covered in debris and dust. I put her back, and she made a full recovery. I didn't do anything special to treat her, but the other poster's comment makes a lot of sense.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
NO Melafix or Pima fix!! Don't jump into any antibiotics yet.

Tub with twice daily 100% water changes - using prime to dechlorinate

Get Indian Almond Leaves and Methylene Blue asap
Make Johns solutions ASAP

You want to use things that can stay in for the full 12 hours your lotls is way to fragile to be doing baths.

Feed really good easy to digest food like repashy grub pie or moist sinking pellets like rangen.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score

You want to use things that can stay in for the full 12 hours your lotls is way to fragile to be doing baths.

Feed really good easy to digest food like repashy grub pie or moist sinking pellets like rangen.
I wouldn’t use salt solutions yet, salt is harmful and is only used when things are very bad and it acceptable to make your lotl uncomfortable or in pain to save their life.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score

Ignore what I just said, I got solutions mixed up

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Bindi - please look into jogns and htfreters these are NOT salt baths they are prescribed by exotic vets for treatment for wounds and fungus and anemia and to use 24/7 in your tank to maintain proper hardness. They are used at varying percentages for different things.

Johns and Holtfreters are extremely mild.

And know that salts are more than sodium chloride NaCl.

I wouldn’t use salt solutions yet, salt is harmful and is only used when things are very bad and it acceptable to make your lotl uncomfortable or in pain to save their life.

leelu

Reaction score
He's refusing food still and was skinny to start with. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 15961788596987787274973670934417.jpg
    15961788596987787274973670934417.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 117

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Bindi - please look into jogns and htfreters these are NOT salt baths they are prescribed by exotic vets for treatment for wounds and fungus and anemia and to use 24/7 in your tank to maintain proper hardness. They are used at varying percentages for different things.

Johns and Holtfreters are extremely mild.

And know that salts are more than sodium chloride NaCl.
Calagary, I said I got it mixed up. I’ve heard horror stories about johns and holtfreters, which is why I choose not to use them. I think that’s great that you’ve had success with it, but I personally choose not to use it.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I have never seen or heard a single horror story about either but have read a ton of horror stories about concentrated salt baths and I will never use them unless prescribed by a veterinarian as they are incredibly dangerous.
Johns and Holtfreters do not even measure any salinity when you test them as the NaCl content is minimal.

Maybe don't push an anecdotal opinion to not use something that has no basis. These solutions have been used for over 50 years in axolotls and this very site promotes them on their axolotl care website.

Calagary, I said I got it mixed up. I’ve heard horror stories about johns and holtfreters, which is why I choose not to use them. I think that’s great that you’ve had success with it, but I personally choose not to use it.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
[
I have never seen or heard a single horror story about either but have read a ton of horror stories about concentrated salt baths and I will never use them unless prescribed by a veterinarian as they are incredibly dangerous.
Johns and Holtfreters do not even measure any salinity when you test them as the NaCl content is minimal.

Maybe don't push an anecdotal opinion to not use something that has no basis. These solutions have been used for over 50 years in axolotls and this very site promotes them on their axolotl care website.
Okay. I will do more research. A friend of my moms kept axies a while ago and when she added it to her tanks, it wiped out half her axies. There was probably as underlying cause. I agree concentrated salt baths are very dangerous. Also, I was never pushing my opinion on anyone, and telling them not to use it at all. I was simply saying I wouldn’t use it, like how you say you wouldn’t use api stress coat or other things.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!