Question: Catching Salamander/Newt Larvae

cbrousseau

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cameron
So I'm really interseted in doing some feild herping for some of our native speaces in Maine I've tryed with no luck at all this week to find some spotted salamanders, (im starting to think they dont exist in the maine woods) anyway I've also been wanting to look for Larvae of any of the speace here in maine, but im not quite sure if they've morphed yet(again i am in Maine).. if anyone could help with any pointers or give some tips i'd appreciate it!
Thatnks!

There are a few ways to go about this, these are the main techniques I use in the field. these are for the UK but would be transferable I imagine.

Note: You will need to check the law relating to disturbance of animals and habitat before doing any of these. I have no idea what your state legislation allowswith regard to this.

Daylight by eye

If you are patient/lucky and depending on the species you may well be able to tell what's in there by just watching. A visit first will help determine whether the water body is suitable habitat.

Torching

After dark (obviously) This is probably the easiest to perform but until you get your eye in for identification it can be tricky. Also if you want to view close up it's not so great. For a really good look after dark you need a torch with at least 1 million candle-power. The more turbid the water the more difficult this will be.

Netting

Use a net which is not too coarse in order to prevent damage to the animals. This is a bit of a balancing act because if it's too fine it will slow the nets progress through the water. I use a 2-3mm mesh. It's probably worth having a small aquarium net on hand to help with closer examination and don't forget some examination trays. A cheap white cat litter box works well. Netting is however highly destructive to flora and the pond in general especially if done in a heavy handed manner.

Trapping

Trapping is probably the most effective method but require considerably more effort and commitment. The simplest trap to construct is a bottle trap. Take a 2 litre bottle, round works best, cut off the top 3rd and flip it round placing the top section inside the bottom essentially creating a funnel. You can then either pass a garden cane through the bottle at a 45 degree angle or attach a tether to the bottle with a weight at the other end.

Now the important bit when you put them in the pond overnight leave an air bubble at the top of the bottle to create some air exchange. The warmer the weather the less dissolved oxygen is in the water. Don't leave the traps out for any longer than 7-8 hours when the weather is warm. In cooler months this can go to up to 12.

There are other traps but that's probably the simplest.

Remember keep disturbance and handling to a minimum.

Hope that helps.

Happy herping.

Last edited:
Hey Gareth thank you so much for your help I went out last night and cought 3 larvae with my net and i have a trap in the water that im going to check in a couple. again thank you it was a big help!!

Keep us updated on your trap Rousseau! I'm very interested, what species did you find?

Eric from Mass.

Well the trap had nothing noteible in it besides a couple of tadpoles, I put it out again tonight for one more try. Aura, Im really not sure about what kind of larvae they are but my best guess is that they are spotted? but then again i could be wrong, im going back tomorrow so if i find any ill post photos. I was just serpised to find one never mind three last night the pool is a mile from my house and is no bigger then the hood of my car and about 3-6 inches deep... its amazing how life can thrive in the craziest places.

No worries, glad it worked out. To be honest I find that trapping can depend on where you put them. You'll need to place them where you are likely to find the larvae. We use them mostly for adult newts but do get a lot of larvae in them at the right times of year. As an example in the UK if you put the traps close to cover you are more llikely to catch smooth and palmate but in more open areas you'll get GCN but not the others. It's just down to their behaviour, GCN dimly swan about in open water whereas the others clearly have more sense and prefer plant cover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back