Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Caudata.ru's Registry" - forerunner of the World Caudata Registry ?

A

alexander

I subscribe to your opinion, William ! (axolotls are tailed amphibians too)
Dear colleagues,
1) I would like to know your opinions about the embedding of the function of "Multilingual caudata-dictionary" in Caudata.ru's Registry.
Is there any need to translate vernacular names of newts? (I really wonder to know opinions of users from countries where English is foreign)
2) I am sure that each species of tailed amphibians has any peculiarities of keeping. I introduce a motion to create for each species in www.caudata.ru/registry the section "Recommendations for keeping of the species". (Where each keeper can write reasoning from his personal (may be bitter) experience). What do you think about?

Thanks to all who joined to www.caudata.ru/registry ! The list of keepers is increasing.

P

paris

alex-i would hope that a person would know the scientific name of their animals if they wish to register them. if they had a common name or were sold a misidentified newt under a common name then their benefit to the registry would be minimal at best as they couldn't reliably register their newts. (the benefit would be lost for any data they offer-or stud services-if they arent sure what they have or send the wrong species to someone for stud). my point can be illustrated by the not uncommon occurance of pachytritons being sold as 'fire bellies' as well as a recent situation here in the US where P. waltls were sold as 'crested newts'....

W

william

i agree with Paris, we should stick to scientific names. i like your idea of putting an experience post thing in that would be helpful, especially if people are looking for animals.

how about this for the browsers of the site looking for animals: nest to each species give it a traffic light colour, red for the experienced keepers only, orange for intermediate species, green for beginner species and finally black for species that don't appear in captivity.

A

alexander

Dear friends,
the next step in the development of the "World Caudate Registry" (I renamed "Caudata.ru's registry") is the possibility to write your "Recommendations for keeping" for each species!

But I to confronted with a problem that I cannot control keeper's "Recommendations" by 100%: I must leave Moscow for 5 months.

So I "announce a vacancy" of admin of "World Caudate Registry" (Caudata.ru's version) for 5 months.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!