Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caudate metal \m/

aramcheck

Reaction score
My band just finished recording our, sadly final, album. I sneaked in a song about the fate of the Hellbender, a good share of my lyrics have a conservation slent to them, and i always wanted to do one about caudate, and the Hellbender is the most metal sunding one :cool:.

We're at the fringe of what most people would call music, so I realise this is not for everyone, but I though it might interest some.

Hellmouth | DEAD IN THE WOODS

here are the lyrics and explanations:

Hellmouth

Aquatic relic lurking in the mountain stream
Cryptobranchid monster; Hellmouth.

Nocturnal hunter, lonely stalker
Antediluvian creature, born of mud and fire

A Dark Shadow, the sign of the son of man
Obscuring the morrow:
Miasma; Pollution; Impurities

Slow Agony of the timeless animal
Necrotic sores on deformed limbs
Slow Agony of the timeless animal
Extinction, death of the salamander

Cryptobranchus alleganiensis, the Hellbender Salamander is a rare species of aquatic giant salamander from eastern North America. Closely related to the Chinese and Japanese Giant Salamanders, those animals are living prehistoric relics dependant on a pristine environment. Like most amphibians, they truly are the canaries in the gobal mine and start dying the moment their environment is compromised, and over the last decade scientists have struggled to find any number of larvae, hinting that existing populations are not reproducing. Of similar concern are the open sores and limb deformities found in the adults. Ignored by most, this atavistic relic of our planet's past is on the verge of annihilation, one species at the verge of extinction, unnoticed, lacking the cute factor that makes headlines, but a tragedy nonetheless.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
the Hellbender is the most metal sunding one :cool:.

Caudates = \m/ \m/
Metal = \m/ \m/
Caudates + Metal = Yeaaaaaaaaaaah!

Your music takes me back, Aramcheck, it´s like 50% of what i used to listen to when i was an adolescent. And you are better than many of the bands i liked, by the way xDD
Sorry to hear, you recorded the final album, mate.

PS: the name of the band is not a reference to Buffy, right? xD

aramcheck

Reaction score
Cheers Azhael!

What can I say, I never grew out of it, when it comes to music we are a bunch of overgrown teens (we range in age 29-37). We're stopping because 2 of us are moving away, and it would not feel right to keep the same name without them, but the rest of us have got a new project lined-up...

Dead In The Woods is not a Buffy thing, sorry! It comes from 2 sources: One, Dr Kelly the Bristish weapon inspector who killed himself in the run up to the Iraq war, having told a friend that if there was a war, he would be found "Dead In The Woods".

The second, is our guitar player got assaulted by a 14 year old burglar, and pressed charges. He was later beaten up by thugs, as the boy was a cousin of the local kingpin, and warned that he would be found "dead in the wood" if he didn't retract his charges, which he did.

So yeah, light and fun, we're a cheerful bunch! (Actually we are, just not in naming the band :p).

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My bad! Even though it´s pretty damn obvious Hellmouth is the name of the song, in my sleep deprived, brain-fried state i mistook it for the name of the band. I feel so smart right now :)

That´s one hell of a story behind the name xD

I didn´t outgrow it either, really. I still listen to metal in various forms (although i listen to other stuff too), but i was really into black metal and other related stuff when i was a teen. I guess it was because of my mood back then..:p

Glad to hear you have a future project, best of lucks!

grius

Reaction score
Awesome lyrics and great metal!

I used to be vocalist in a band many years ago, and how i that nowdays:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!