Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CB B.orientalis colour

A

alan

I believe that CB Bombina orientalis do not normally colour up like WC animals. What's the solution?

han

Reaction score
I use a colour-enhancher for birds based on
cantaxantin. Dust all food-items with this powder for about 3 weeks and the bellies will colour up.
Actually this appears to be the only way to get the bellies nicely coloured. I've raised a lot
of Bombina-offspring over the years, experimented
a lot but never got better results.
I'm raising CB Bombina maxima right now, nearly
3 months old but their bellies are already orange-red.

Han.

caleb

Reaction score
Alan,

they need carotenes adding to their diet. I've heard of people adding pure canthaxanthin to their food- I'm told this works very quickly and effectively.

There are various foods for fish and birds which have added carotenes to improve colouring- I've wondered whether feeding livefood on these would improve Bombina colour.

I think there's even a herp colour food from Nekton, though I've never actually seen it for sale.

Another way is to feed livefoods which are already high in carotenes- Daphnia and Gammarus are the best known ones- I've had very good results feeding B. variegata with Gammarus.

This applies to newts as well- CB alpine newts, for instance, often have yellow bellies, where wild ones can be deep red.

han

Reaction score
I use Bogena - intensive red (Bayer). This might be for sale in the UK too.
If you read German there are some interesting articles on the subject:

Steinicke - Beitrage zum Problem unvollstandiger
Auspigmentierung bei der Aufzucht der
Chinesischen Rotbauchunke(Bombina
orientalis)- Salamandra 1976.

Kaehmel - Erganzende Bemerkungen zur
Rotpigmentierung der Bauchseite bei
Jungtieren von Bombina orientalis auf
der Basis von Canthaxanthin -
Salamandra 1976.

Wiesner - Das Pigmentierungsproblem bei der
Aufzucht von Bombina orientalis, der
Chinesischen Rotbauchunke - Elaphe 1980

Han.

(Message edited by Han on November 02, 2004)

pollywog

Reaction score
Alan,
I use a Bird colour enhancer for developing coloration in my Bombina, not sure of the name but will find out for you. I bought it from my local Wilsons so have a look if you have one near you.

E

edward

I would be careful of the amount that is used as there has some been some anecdotal evidence of toxicity in dendrobatids fed canthaxanthin.

Ed

J

joseph

Ed: Wouldn't that imply that this is giving the animals the neccessary chemicals to produce the toxins they would in the wild? Dunno if that is good or bad-although most CB animals look healthy even though they aren't toxic.

A

alan

Thanks for the link Mike.

I understand the FDA has banned canthaxanthin for human consumption, not sure about animal feeds.
In the UK, the FSA says you can still eat it (sun-tanning pills!) and feed it to food animals.

E

edward

Hi Joeseph,
Wrong chemical for toxin production. When I meant toxicity I meant that the frogs were becoming ill or dieing from the supplement. It apparently cause liver damage.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!