Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CFBN Tank Journal

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I just set up my tank today it still needs a little work ( mesh top, sand and I am using a light fixture from an old tank for the plants)

This is what I have so far the filter is buffered Ans no little legs or tails can get caught :)

I am debating a mini turtle dock ... I keep reading that these newts wont use it.

Am I missing anything
Here is my tank
IMG_20130304_210120.jpg

http:/

What is the total volume of the tank?
If it is big enough, i would suggest dispensing with the filter and simply adding more plants.
Also, make sure you have a 100% scape-proof lid that allows for ventilation.
Other than that, it looks good.

Its only a 10 gallon and with or without the filter it still needs to cycle right?

Its a 10 gallon and don't worry the top I am looking at is completely escape proof

Its only a 10 gallon and with or without the filter it still needs to cycle right?

Its a 10 gallon and don't worry the top I am looking at is completely escape proof

Get a metal screen top. They wont be able to escape :)

A 10 gallon can be successfully maintained and kept very stable indeed without a filter if you use a lot of plants. The plants will help maintain tolerable conditions even while the tank cycles, but yeah, you should really cycle it properly before introducing any newts, it´s always better.
The thing is, you could keep the filter, but since H.orientalis prefers still water, and a filter always produces some heat, plus the fact that it is possible to make it entirely redundant, i really think it´s rather pointless to use one provided the tank is cycled and densely planted.

I am completely new to newts so honestly I feel more comfortable with it

My tank is maintaining a 65 degree temp even keeping the house warm

Good news :) my tank is almost cycled :D just need a few more things and I will order the newts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1