Chara and other charophyta and salamanders

Bill B

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
amphibianizer
I was wondering whether there is any relationship between presence of newts and other salamanders and the presence of Chara or other members of the Charophyta? I have been told that mosquitos don't breed there, and that many turtles don't eat it.

Chara and others of the same family are common in caudate habitats here in Spain, specially in the south.
They do tend to inhabit oxygen poor waters, but some caudates tolerate them very well.

In Britain Chara are generally indicators of good water quality, and also commonly grow in temporary or early succession habitats (i.e. no fish). Chara prefers hard water.

Generally I think this is a great plant for amphibian cover. As it's negatively buoyant (i.e. sinks) it won't choke the water column, so Chara waters tend to retain the open water habitat preferred by Triturus larvae. Much better than the ubiquitous and invasive Canadian pondweed.

That said, I don't think most British amphibians are particularly fussy about breeding conditions, so long as it's not too extreme.

Tristan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back