Cheap and easy tank cooling

K

kim

So... Over the bank holiday weekend I watched as my tank (now moved down stairs) temp went up from the normal 16 degrees to a horrible 22.. eek! So to help I kept the lights off... and still it stayed at 22... grrr what to do? I really cant afford silly prices for a chiller, and to be truthful I really dont need it for most of the year..

And then while sat on my pc and having a CPU fan thrown at me i thought of it.. there MUST be a way of using a PC case/CPU fan in some way!

So my lovely IT tech of a boyfriend helped me out with the following.. I hope it helps people cool there tanks down..

Note: I have a Jewel Rekord 96 tank which has 2 plastic pannels as lids which lay on top of the holes in the top of the tank. (See picture below, sorry for the water marks)

35392.jpg

What you will need:

1. Black Plastic.. As close as you can get to match your lid.
2. Stanley/craft knife
3. Drill
4. 2 meters (depending on size of tank) of speaker wire.
5. 2 x 80mm Case/CPU fans.
6. 4 x fan grills, 2x plastic and 2x metal.
7. 12volt (adjustable is better) power supply.
8. 12volt plug adaptoor

Ok first thing measure out the gap in the top of the tank and cut your plastic to to correct size, make sure it fits as good as your orignal.

Next cut a hole for the fan. Make sure it is tight a close to the edge of the fan blades, otherwize you will loose pressure. And then drill ventalation holes. Not too big so it becomes week but just enough.
35393.jpg

Next take your fans and attach the plastic fan grills to the under side (the side going in the tank).
35394.jpg

Next attach the fan with the metal grill to the plastic cover.

Now your ready to attach the wire.. Cut the wire into equal lengths and split. Attach the 2 wires on the fan to the 2 speaker wires. Solder them togther and then tape over them.. Just incase the wire gets in the water.

35395.jpg

35396.jpg

Now repeat the same thing with the other fan.

Then get hold of your 12volt adapter

Then solder the 2 wires from each fan onto the 12volt adaptor.. pull the cover back up and there you have it!
35397.jpg

Cooling system!

All you now need to do is tape the wires on the underneath of the lid with enough sack to be able to move them when feeding but tight enough not to drop into the water.

These are some picture of them on my tank.

35398.jpg

35399.jpg

I'm going to monitor the temp change over the next week and let you guys know.

I hope that was all understandable... lol.. feel free to ask any questions if you unclear!

Kim

If you use it for a vivarium it will kill your humidity, you would need to have just the spot where the fan blows in for air circulation.

Joshua...

I didnt really design it for a viv.. I have a tank which is full of water with axies in it.. I think it would be more helpful for people with a large body of water in there tank.

Turning the lights off if it gets too hot really helps, although I wouldn't worry too much about 22C.

Yes, I wouldn't worry too much about 22ºC: Huge problems comes when you reach 33 ºc in the water
angry.gif

Any advice guys?

Great results!!!!!!!!

Well I left my house at 8am this morning and my tank was 19c.. so I put the fans on and off to work I went..

And now at 5.30 pm.. I come home and find my tank at 15.6c!

Thats great! and the fans arnt on full spead! They are only on 9volts!

Kim - thank you for posting that great idea. Yep, you guessed it... I'm gonna have to copy it lol

Much cheaper than a chiller.

Cynthia

LMAO!

I knew it! I was wondering how log it would take you to spot this thread!

P.S. Snails are doing great!

I have ordered the fans.... and my lil brain is whirring with ideas for a new top for my tank. The top I have now is glass.

<font color="aa00aa">Hi everybody,
I'm new here!! I read this post and had to try it. I went out and found one of my computers and dissected it to get the fan! Then I found an old ac adapter and wired it! Since I have an a screen top on my tank, I just set the fan on top. Within an hour it had dropped 1 degree!!! So I figure if I turn it on first thing in the morning, it should keep the tank cool all day!!

I just want to thank you for the tip. It solved my cooling problem I was going to run into this summer!! Thanks a bunch!!!

JC</font>

this looks really good. i can't really figure it out too well since i'm not very handy. i would like to try it so will get back to you.

Thanx Kim, Hope it works for you, I only have the fans currently running at 9volts and they are keeping the temp down 4 degrees. You could always get 120mm fans and a extra power supply if you find you need more.. And the great thing is that dont make alot of noise!

Janice, If you go into any computer/eletric shop and tell them what you want to try and make they should be able to help you out.. I just went up to my local Maplins electronic store and brought the cheapest fans etc.. I already had a man in the know!

Good luck people... I'd like to know how much they bring your tanks downs so keep posted!

I'm useless at stuff like this so I might ask my dad (the electrician) to work on it. I have a screen top for my tank and wondered if your boyfriend is smart enough to modify for the screen. My bet is that if you made these things we would all be willing to pay you!

Janice,

That would be a great idea, he is currently not working due to a car accident 2 and half years ago.. I'll ask him... Only one problem for you... I'm in the UK and the cost of shipping to the USA would work out very silly!

Hm. yeah and you have different voltage. But if you could ask him about a modification for the screen top. I do actually live part time in London but have no newts there!

Hi Janice,

Right so I've had a chat with him about it... he reckons that if you get some wood (Not too tick) that is longer than you tank... Cut and drill the holes nessary for the fan and then attach it.. It should then be suspended above the srceen top by sitting on the edges of the tank and should still blow enough air through...

Humm... hope that made sence! Let me know what you think!

Thanks! I have sent the specs to Dad and let's see what he makes of it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back