Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cheap (egg) tank (do-it-yourself)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I usually use 5-gallon tanks for egg rearing tanks, but I keep breaking them, or in the case of kritter keepers (which are plenty expensive), cracking them. I wanted a cheap, durable, and while I'm at it, stackable, egg/small tank. So Here's what I did.

I got cheap Rubbermaid-type containers and fixed the lids up.

Picture 1: Two clear 30 Quart Sterilite containers with lids (I like that type of snap-on), and two pieces of plastic Cross-stitch canvas. You can get those in craft stores for around a dollar, or if your mother's a hoarder, free from her basement. The containers were $7.99 each at Target.

Picture 2: Cut a hole in the lid and cut the cross-stitch canvas to fit. I am making two at once, so I'm doing this all twice. The inside of the lid has little corners, so make sure the plastic will fit in there snugly.

Attaching the cross stitch canvas: I am trying two methods. One is more work but is done faster, the other is less work, but you have to wait for it to dry.

Method one: Picture 3: gluing.

1. I forgot to say, before you start this project, you have to eat a frozen pizza,
2. because you need that piece of paperboard to glue on, so you don't mess up your dining room table.
3. Also cut some pieces of wax paper to put under your paperweights, so you don't get glue on them.
4. Lay the plastic cross-stitch canvas where you want to glue it, and squirt glue all over the edges.
5. Then put the paperweights down to hold it all in place until it dries.

Method two: Picture 4: sewing.

1. Poke holes around the edge with an awl where you want to sew.
3. You will need a needle, scissor, and fishing line for this part.
2. Sew it all like this.
4. Done! I made my stitches about an inch apart.

Picture 5. Don't forget to poke a hole for the airline tubing

and

Picture 6: Just add eggs!

The sewing method takes a little longer, but that egg tank is already in use, while the other one's lid is still drying.

Attachments

• 01sm.jpg
    01sm.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 02sm.JPG
    02sm.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 03sm.JPG
    03sm.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 370
  • 04sm.JPG
    04sm.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 05airlinehole.jpg
    05airlinehole.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 320
  • 06voila.jpg
    06voila.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 393

RobM

Reaction score
Oh no... I already have a box obsession, I am always buying them, thinking about buying them and wondering what I could put in them! :wacko:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a half-dozen of exactly those same tubs, Dawn! I don't usually stack them, so I don't need as much ventilation area. I drill a bunch of holes in the lid, including one larger hole at the corner for the airline tubing. Despite being female, I like using power tools:p

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a lot of us use these types of bins for our animals, but I really liked the idea of having a "screen" lid. It didn't feel right without one.
Oh, I meant 'stackable' for storing when not in use.

Molch

Reaction score
very nice. Next time I'm in the big city, I'll get some of that mesh from the crafts store.

I particularly liked the hand grenade as a paper weight. :violent::lol:

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Wow that grenade killed me xD What business you are into Dawn haha

I use non covered setups basicly they are wide setups with 1,5cm water and totally opened. Maximum ventilations and tiny water collumn. But thats just me

dragonwalker

Reaction score
I used these for N. viridescens eggs and larvae.

I also used them for T. shanjing morphs.

One important note however; the gap where the lid meets the container is not that tight, so to prevent escape if using for morphs I glued foam all around the lid where it meets the plastic, so when it was clicked shut it gave a nice tight seal.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the gap where the lid meets the container is not that tight
Do you think? That's why I like those snap tops. I thought it would be a nice fit. I'll have to check that out.

The glue gun is a good idea; I'll have to try it, though in my experience they're not the strongest holds...and I wonder how well it'll do on plastic.

I was wondering if anyone would notice the grenade. That's my boyfriend's idea of bringing me back a present from one of his business trips...actually, I think it's cool too!

Molch

Reaction score
any project involving frozen pizza and hand grenades gets my vote :)

A question about the tubs: do you wonder/worry whether they are a safe kind of plastic that doesn't leach chemicals?

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
I've used that exact tank setup for some many of my animals. I see no reason to buy an expensive tank. My tortoise, tarantula, corn snake, and monitors have all done well in these sort of tanks in the past :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I can't believe I completely missed the hand grenade!!!!!

A question about the tubs: do you wonder/worry whether they are a safe kind of plastic that doesn't leach chemicals?

Mine never last long enough for me to worry about leaching.......

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
They get hard and brittle which makes them prone to cracking. The cracked ones however make great terrestrial containers.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I let the glued top dry overnight. Here it is now, it looks OK from the top but not as nice from the bottom. Just a couple places where the paper stuck, I can pick that off.

Attachments

• 2-14 006.jpg
    2-14 006.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 2-14 007.jpg
    2-14 007.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 267

Molch

Reaction score
You use Gorilla glue, you said? I can never glue a bloody thing with Gorilla glue. In my experience, that stuff doesn't glue anything. I just tried to glue that base of my brine shrimp hatcheries, and it came loose the moment I touched it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!