Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cheap, small worm farm?

andykazam

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two wild types in a 120l (30 USG) tank and I'm feeding them 1 frozen cube of bloodworms between then once a day in a feeding jar. Problem is, they nip at each other, only when food is around, as I've heard wild-types are prone to doing, and I'm worried that one might get seriously hurt, so I'm looking to move them on to worms.

I'm a recently graduated student living back home with his parents but I would like a worm farm to keep a steady supply of food. Would something cheap like this be any use at all?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interplay-U...UTF8&qid=1371167995&sr=8-1&keywords=worm+farm

Thanks!

Krispen

Reaction score
Hi Andy-
I had (and still have) an indoor compost bin with red wigglers. I got very excited when I got my axies thinking they would live them- unfortunately from what I've read these types can have a bitter taste. Maybe make sure of the types of worms your axie likes before going through the process of farming!?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect that the one shown in the ad is too small. Can you obtain two buckets? Best if one has a lid and you can drill some small holes in the bottom of it. Then you just need some bedding (shredded paper) kitchen scraps and worms.

K3teach

Reaction score
I had the same thought and found these instructions online to make my own. Cheap and Easy Worm Bin!. It may be worth a try. Let me know how it goes if you use something like this. I would be curious to know how it works in real life.

pookiewn

Reaction score
It's worth asking for a wormery on your local freecycle, I got mine from there and have seen a couple more have also seen cheap ones on eBay.

andykazam

Reaction score
I suspect that the one shown in the ad is too small. Can you obtain two buckets? Best if one has a lid and you can drill some small holes in the bottom of it. Then you just need some bedding (shredded paper) kitchen scraps and worms.

Thanks for all your replies!

That probably sounds like the best way. Otherwise, I'll just buy a batch and store them for a while. 30 will probably last me a few weeks, where is best to store them? In the fridge?

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
The bait worms I bought came in a delicup and I just keep them in the fridge. Haven't had any escape yet. This is after trying to start a worm farm, threw maybe...40 worms in there, used less than 20 before I ran out, so they either cannibalized each other or found a way to escape :/

andykazam

Reaction score
The bait worms I bought came in a delicup and I just keep them in the fridge. Haven't had any escape yet. This is after trying to start a worm farm, threw maybe...40 worms in there, used less than 20 before I ran out, so they either cannibalized each other or found a way to escape :/

So it's literally just a case of ordering some and keeping them in the fridge? I can get 30 for about £5 so it's not a huge expense as long as they last.

Gailgirl

Reaction score
Yep! Just put them in a not freezing part of the fridge, without too much of a swing in temp (like not the door, i put mine right in front because the back of my fridge freezes sometimes). I don't do anything at all, just leave them in the container them come in, 30 dendrobaenas will last me a few weeks, and I haven't had one die. I also farm red wigglers (e. fetida), and was worried my girls wouldn't like them, but they snap them right up. It only took them a day to get used to them.

pookiewn

Reaction score
So it's literally just a case of ordering some and keeping them in the fridge? I can get 30 for about £5 so it's not a huge expense as long as they last.

Sounds rather expensive, I pay £1.20 for the same amount. Have you looked online and getting them delivered?

pookiewn

Reaction score
I get mine from Surrey reptiles, they order them in for me. Worth a look there if your local, they've got loads of aquatic stuff for a lot less than other shops.

andykazam

Reaction score
I'm based in North London so it's a bit out of my way, I'll check out the bait shop and then compare with online delivery prices

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!