Cheap Tank combo... Any good

Jack1234

New member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Nsw Australia
Country
Australia
G'day, I have been looking at cheap tanks for my kids and have found a tank that looks ok. It's a blue planet classic 50 L. It has a light and filter in the hood. Has anyone had any experience / issues with these setups? Regards
 
Is this tank going to be for an axolotl? I know we're on the axolotl thread, but I am just making sure, lol. Do you possibly have a link to the product, or at least a picture?
 
If it is for an axie it's too small. You'd want atleast 80 x 35 cm floor area and minimum of 30 cm of water.
 
50 liters might be a little small, 20 gallons is usually the recommended minimum for 1 or 2 axies, and seeing as you're in australia I strongly suggest against a hood because it'll be hotter unless you're already thinking about getting a chiller. best of luck! :)
 
You can get him a baby or a juvie for that tank and then once it outgrows it just get a new one.. Would take a while before it was ready for a bigger tank.
 
I wouldn't recommend getting a small tank first and then another bigger one. It's just a waste of money as axies grow really fast. One of my axies is 8 months and already around 25 cm and still growing. If you get a really small baby axie, it's fine to keep it in a big plastic container for a couple of months and then when it's around 4 inches and eating well just put it in the big tank.
 
I would check out gumtree and ebay for a secondhand 4 footer with canister filter, then add a chiller to that.

It's going to cost money, but will be much cheaper than new and right for the job.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top