Checking up on my warty newts, any advice?

jamessamlev

Reaction score
Country
England
I recently brought 3 Chinese warty newts and it's been 2 days now, I have old fed 1 newt 1 worm and the others aren't interested, I have them in a terrestrial setup with a decent sized water bowl and the tank is kept at 19 degrees Celsius. Do you hunk the other isn't eating because of stress??

If they are recent imports they will be highly stressed and fragile, the best way to help them recover and adapt to captivity is to provide them with optimal conditions. They should be in an aquatic set up containing at least ten gallons of clean, cold water with at least one hide each. Warty newts are territorial and aggressive towards their own kind, so try to break their line of vision in the tank with rocks or plants so they can't see each other all the time, this should help prevent fights, but you should be prepared to split them up if need be.
I can't find a care sheet for Paramesotriton, but they have very similar requirements and temperaments to Paddletails (Pachytriton) so that should help.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

Thanks man, I know the tank conditions aren't ideal but in a week I will have a 3 foot tank with a built in custom docking station (made for turtles) I can't wait! Can you tell me any tips for how to filter the water without creating too much of a current?

Im not 100% sure, but Paramesotriton might actually appreciate a little water flow, but I would ask someone else before you do anything.
Usually for filtration I only have a sponge filter if anything and a bunch of live plants. Mechanical filtration will often heat up the water a little bit, which isn't something thats really wanted unless the tank is always very cold

And any suggestions for more terrestrial newts (not salamanders)

European newts can be kept terrestrial (At least most of the year) my personal favorite being the Alpine and Marbled newts

Thanks man, I know the tank conditions aren't ideal but in a week I will have a 3 foot tank with a built in custom docking station (made for turtles) I can't wait! Can you tell me any tips for how to filter the water without creating too much of a current?

Warty newts live in streams and small rivers in the wild so they really don't mind water movement unlike most other species. An internal power filter, or external cannister filter would be fine. Having said that, still water doesn't seem to bother them, so an air driven sponge filter would be fine as well. If there are a good amount of plants in the tank and sensible stocking levels, you can often get away without any filter at all, the plants will easily cope with the waste from a few newts in a reasonably sized tank.

I heard about alpines but I would prefer to keep them aquatic, are marbled newts good to keep? And I think I'm going to get a small internal filter

I heard about alpines but I would prefer to keep them aquatic, are marbled newts good to keep? And I think I'm going to get a small internal filter

Marbled newts can be kept terrestrial in a tank with soil and some will make uses of land and water areas. A. tigrinum, A. mavortium, A. opacum, A. maculatum, and Salamandra sp., are also good options for terrestrial caudates

Any pictures?? Let's see which species they are

uploadfromtaptalk1433233524963.jpeg

They are all doing fine but this one is a bit skinny I can't wait to get them into their finished setup, I will post pictures when it's ready :)

I had paddled tail newts before so these shouldn't be much different

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back