Checklist for Axie Tank

Silver5101

New member
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
Pennsylvania
Country
United States
Alright, so I'm going to go buy everything for Axolotls that I will be buying in the future. I need help with what to go to the pet shop and buy tomorrow. So if anyone could help me with what to buy. If it helps I'll be getting two Axies. All help is appreciated :happy:
 
1. At least a 20 gallon tank
2. Filter
3. Food (earthworms, blackworms, bloodworms)
4. Chiller if you can not keep the tank in cooler temps (62-72 Degrees Fahrenheit)
5. Places to hide
6. Air stone/pump
7. Water testing kit
8. Dechlorinator or another way to purify water could be helpful

Not sure if there is anything else I am missing for a start up, but I hope this helps a bit.

Make sure you read up on care and cycle the tank before you add axolotls.
 
The airdrome isn't necessary for axolotls. I'd add starting a worm farm early to prepare as the axolotl grows unless you find a reliable pellet diet. While 20 gallons is plenty for two axolotls the larger the tank the easier it will be to maintain water quality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I see it is recommend getting an air stone. Ignore my ignorance but what are the benefits.
 
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I see it is recommend getting an air stone. Ignore my ignorance but what are the benefits.


Airstones oxygenate the water by breaking the surface of the water to allow more gas exchange. A filter will do the same thing. Sometimes if the filter isn't enough an airstone can be used but that is mostly for fish who can't do what axolotls do and gulp the air. Axolotls can be kept with no filter or airstone without any issue since they kind of have little lungs along with their gills. I used to believe the airstone myth too but this site showed me otherwise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Tank
Food
Water
Dechlorinator
Filter
Fan

Don't waste your money on a chiller unless you live in texas and have no ac etc. A simple fan can do the trick.
 
I have a 120 cm (4 feet) tank and I like to have my filter spraybar on one end of the tank and the air stone on the other end so that the surface is lightly moving in every part of the tank -> very good oxygen levels. My wild type also loves to take bubble baths over the air stone. :D

The most important things to get right away:
-the tank (80cm x 35cm or more floor space for one or two axies)
-filter (right size for your tank)
-water testing kit (liquid master test kits are good as they have everything you have to test in one package, test strips are good too as long as you are careful to store and use them correctly)
-ammonia to cycle your tank
-buckets, vacuum/siphon and a turkey baster for cleaning and water changes
-dechlorinator if you need it (I've never had to use anything like that)
-some hides and plants for your axie plus fine sand if you want to use it
-a fan/chiller to keep your tank cool if needed
-worms if you want to start a worm farm, otherwise don't buy them yet as it'll be a while before you can get your axies. If you want to buy food right now, get pellets that are specially made for axies
 
Okay, I live in PA so I won't need a chiller then. I have two fans in my room so that should do the trick. How do you start a worm farm? I have blood worms already but they are frozen.
 
Okay, I live in PA so I won't need a chiller then. I have two fans in my room so that should do the trick. How do you start a worm farm? I have blood worms already but they are frozen.

Blood worms are fine.
If you want to go that extra step and set up a worm farm there is a stickied thread somewhere around here..
But it's not a necessary thing to have an axolotl.
 
Bloodworms shouldn't be the only diet as the axolotl grows. They are okay in the beginning but lack nutrition for an adult.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So what other sources of food should i feed them? I know I can buy pellets but it's hard to imagine a unique thing like an axolotl wanting pellets >.<
 
That's why I suggest getting a worm farm started because it'll take a few months to get established and you to learn some tricks along the way but you'll have the right food for when your axolotl is large enough.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So what other sources of food should i feed them?

Earthworms or axie pellets. Those are the best and most balanced foods for your axie. Occasionally you can also feed them for example fresh water fish.
 
Earthworms or axie pellets. Those are the best and most balanced foods for your axie. Occasionally you can also feed them for example fresh water fish.


Freshwater fish like guppies or minnows... Avoid goldfish or any aggressive fish. Also small shrimp can be a treat too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top