Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chemical dosing: tank volume or actual water volume?

Jhunter89

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Working on getting my tank set up and I have a question! When adding water conditioners/bacteria/ammonia etc, do you base the dosing off of tank volume (i.e. 5ml per 30 gallon tank) or actual water volume, (i.e. I have a 20 long tank with rocks etc and there's actually 13 gallons of water in it currently).

Thanks!

Jhunter89

Reaction score
API tap water conditioner. I have chloramines, so it says 5ml per 30 gallons. I have 13 gallons in the tank, so 2.16ml? Tetra safe start 3.38oz, I just used the whole bottle since it said "up to 20 gallons." Haven't added ammonia yet since I'm waiting to see how the chloramines break down, but should I dose for 13 gallons?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
API is safe but isnt as concentrated as Prime it is only 1mL per 10g.
Yes dose close for your volume - With Prime is is labelled safe to be overdosed but I don't know about API.
You generally need several days to weeks of adding beneficially bacteria and you need to feed it which is the ammonia or its a waste to add.
The chlorine and chloramine and neutralized right away no need to wait.
When figuring out the dose start at 13g and then test to see if you are at 4ppm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1