Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chest fridge as an aquarium

Reaction score
So here is my Idea i'm sure it won't work as I have found no info of anyone attempting it.

Get a chest fridge cut a large window in the front, glue screw seal a panel of perspex as the viewing window maybe two panels one on either side for better insulation. Add holes in the sides for filtration, Seal it all up where necessary fill it with water and bam tank and chiller all in one.

Now tell me why this wont work?

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
You should just get a normal tank and put a water cooler next to it and make the water cooler into a filter using 100% polyester batting and some bags of bio media, cut the top off of a 3 or 5 gallon jug fill it with mechanical and bio filtration and have a submersible pump running water up to the top of the jug and then have a hose going from the "cold" tap back to the tank and just leave the tap open. It'll cool water and make the best filter!

rachel1

Reaction score
I had a friend who grew trout in a chest fridge outside. No viewing window, but they didn't care. He was growing them to stock an outdoor pond.

Reaction score
I already have a Haliea 150A chiller just thinking of alternatives for fun I have a feeling a water cooler is probably not going to work, not for long at least. The wine fridge should work.

Does anyone know if there is stuff important to the cooling in the front wall of a chest fridge?
Probably the wrong forum to be asking really but worth a shot.

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
Here you go, do this!

Attachments

• tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,101
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1