Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chickpox like spots

Ryuusuke

Reaction score
are these tiny red spots normal for a growing axolotl?
Was not previously there

Attachments

• 38593CFD-A67C-4DE8-8B46-0369C21DFE04.jpeg
    38593CFD-A67C-4DE8-8B46-0369C21DFE04.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 473
  • 09B3C47F-63A7-47D9-AC81-BC695325599B.jpeg
    09B3C47F-63A7-47D9-AC81-BC695325599B.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 74

wolfen

Reaction score
would need more info such as temperature/ph/ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, also if possible kh/gh.
I side view may be helpful.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Have the spots developed? Red spots could be bacterial infection, but difficult to tell from your picture.

Ryuusuke

Reaction score
Yes, i just double checked they are red. little less then before though

wolfen

Reaction score
if your water has chloromines then unless you are using a dechlorinator that bind/detoxes ammonia then you will have traces of ammonia, also axolotls don't just poop they also urinate so they produce waste into the water even when it looks clean.
test for ammonia after 12 and 24 hrs as the tub can be to small and allowing ammonia build up.
also scrub the tub well when cleaning as bacteria build up in plastic tubs can cause rot and septicaemia.

Ryuusuke

Reaction score
if your water has chloromines then unless you are using a dechlorinator that bind/detoxes ammonia then you will have traces of ammonia, also axolotls don't just poop they also urinate so they produce waste into the water even when it looks clean.
test for ammonia after 12 and 24 hrs as the tub can be to small and allowing ammonia build up.
also scrub the tub well when cleaning as bacteria build up in plastic tubs can cause rot and septicaemia.
okay i’ll give that a try/ check. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1