Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chillers

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I was looking at this chiller, the "1/4hp Current USA Tower Chiller" I found a good deal on craigslist and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I've never used a chiller before but living in Florida I could use one to help save on the A/C bill. The dilemma is that my current tank I wish to chill is only 10 gallons but I plan to get larger tanks in the future. Do you think such a massive chiller would turn my newts into ice cubes? I plan on moving the temperature from the 80's to around 60 or so. Also how does one normally hook up a chiller?
Thanks!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't need yo use chillers here in the UK, but a giant chiller used on a small tank should be fine. Chillers are controlled by their thermostat, so they should only be chilling when the water is above the temperature you set on 'stat. They're usually hooked up inline with an external cannister filter or pump.

Nano

Reaction score
To connect a chiller to your aquarium you'll need to attach it to the pipes coming from your filter if it is external or put pipes into your tank with a pump as there isn't a pump built into the chiller.

The only problem is that the instructions (found here) say that you need at least a 5gpm pump (300G/Hr)(1000L/Hr) which might be a bit two powerful for a small tank.

Since chillers are so expensive getting one for a low price will definitely be worthwhile in the future when you have a bigger aquarium because putting your A/C on or putting ice packs in the water have much less effect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1