Chinese fire belly newt laying eggs

mianewt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My female chinese fire belly newt will not stop laying eggs. I separated her from the males over a month ago but she is still laying eggs.... How long do they lay eggs for? This summer she laid maybe 50 eggs and I kept 20 which have morphed and are doing fine but know she has already laid more than 50 eggs and I keep finding more. One has already morphed from this latest batch which she started laying in November. I do not have room for anymore so I am wondering when she will stop, which hopefully is soon:confused:

I was wondering what other people do when this happens to them?

Female newts can continue laying fertile eggs for a long time after mating, in fact sometimes they will lay infertile eggs with no male present.
If you don't want any more larvae to raise, I think the most humane way is to remove the eggs as soon as possible and put them in the freezer overnight to stop them developing.

Thank you for the advice about freezing the eggs. I have tried to get them all but a new one always seems to appear. She hides them well on all the plants.

I thought of placing an ad but I am afraid that they will go to people who will not take care of them. I will continue trying to get the eggs before they turn into little larvae and may end placing an add for those that I miss.

Thank you again for the advice. Since she has not been with a male on over a month will she soon start laying infertile eggs?

I was reading a study about n.v louisianensis. Saying a female can hold sperm for 10 months. I would assume it could be close to 10 months the C orientals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back