Chinese/Japanese fire belly newt question

firebellynewt84

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've heard people saying that they can poison the water if you house something with them, is this true? (I'm not planning to house anything with my newts, just curious to know.)

I haven't ever heard of Cynops/Hypselotriton (firebellies) causing the water to become toxic, but I have heard of frogs and toads being killed when sharing water with stressed Triturus (crested newt) species so it could well be possible for Cynops to have the same effect.
In my experience captive Cynops newts will only resort to their Tetrodotoxin defence when they feel extremely threatened. With the firebelly species I keep it's recently morphed Juveniles that seem more likely to secrete poison, but by the time they've matured and become relatively tame it almost never happens.
Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back